Beiträge von creamsicle

I've experienced a hardware failure on my OMV server. I believe something along the lines of motherboard failure.

My OMV ran on a USB drive, which I still have.

I had four hard drives in my OMV:
    3TB hard drive ext4
    2TB hard drive ext4
    2x 1TB hard drives in a mirrored RAID configuration

Can any of these simply be plugged into any Linux system to access the data?

1709 Build 17046 (latest) with 2.2.14 absolutely no problems...

But we don´t know your OMV Version...pls get a signature

Strange, I thought for sure that this was my problem since the thread I linked appeared directly on point.

I'm also running OMV 2.2.14. Build 1709 Windows PC's remain unable to access my OMV, earlier capable.

I tried to update my OMV to 3. After the update, I lost the web GUI, which just returned a blank page, but otherwise the OMV appeared to be functioning. Unfortunately, SMB problems remained unchanged. Regarding the GUI, I assume it may be because I didn't remove all plugins in advance, which seems like a lot of trouble to go through, as I'm not sure I'll be able to configure things like Syncthing again on the same folders without resyncing.

I got a WiFi camera that saves recordings via SMB onto my OMV.

Following what I believe to be good security practices, I created a user account for the camera that has permissions only to its own directory on my OMV where it's saving to.

This user account is part of the group 'users'.

When the camera saves, it does so over SMB, and it creates a new directory for each day and each hour.

Unfortunately, it is creating these new directories with an ACL mask of 022, resulting in the directories have permission of rwx for group 'users' but with the mask applied, effective permissions of r-x. This means that every time I want to clear out old recordings, I have to SSH in and either change permissions or do so as root.

How can I make it so that new directories created by the camera have an ACL 002 mask instead of 022?

Yes. You can look at the repo address in the repo tab of omv-extras. What does it show?

I found my mistake. I didn't have the repo bt-sync enabled. I must've disabled it at one point when doing housekeeping, not realizing that it was the repo that syncthing is also hosted in.

omv-extras adds the official syncthing repo. So, if you system is updating correctly, it should have the newest package available that syncthing themselves are putting in the repo. That said, the syncthing repo seems to be having issues right now. This would explain why you aren't getting a newer package. They don't have their .deb packages in the release folder on github either. So, you are kind of stuck where you are at until your machine can update.
    Edit - their https repo isn't working but the http repo. omv-extras was changed to https because I was under the impression the http repo was going away. Maybe I will switch it back to http.

Did you ever switch this back to http? My omv-extras updated, but I'm still not getting syncthing updates.

I'm using the OMV Transmission plugin to download from BitTorrent.

Everything it downloads is written with user debian-transmission and group debian-transmission.

When I attempt to move or delete these files using my personal user account over SMB from my Windows computer, I don't have permissions to do this. This is despite the fact that in the OMV GUI I set my personal user account to also be a member of groups sudo and debian-transmission.

Instead, in order to sort the incoming files into their appropriate directories, I need to login over SSH and sudo chown the files over to my personal account to get the appropriate permissions.

After the files are sorted, I access them from a Kodi media center box over SMB, which uses its own login. Sometimes I'll want to edit the file metadata or delete or move files from Kodi, but again I can't, because now the files belong to my personal user account.

The whole thing is very awkward. Is there a better way for me to manage the file permissions to make this more user friendly? Ideally, I'd like the incoming files to have full permissions for both my personal user account and my Kodi account, so that I don't need to login via SSH to do anything.

Go to the upgrade manager in Omv check the packages available.

I'm pretty certain I've seen updates for Syncthing in there before, but not any recently and not any now. Should my Syncthing be on a version more recent than 0.14.0?

I'm confused by the discussion of how updating Syncthing works.

It had been working well for me, but I've noticed recently that my Windows clients are complaining that my OMV version of Syncthing is too out of date.

On my OMV, opening up Syncthing in a browser window it reports version 0.14.0, while my Windows clients are on 0.14.19.

How do I go about updating the Syncthing version on OMV?

I've got some beginner questions here.

I've got my OpenMediaVault accessible only from within my LAN. Having an SSL certificate so web browsers stop complaining when I visit my OpenMediaVault sounds nice, as well as security improvements against attackers that may have gained entry through WiFi, but it's not immediately apparent to me how to use this service.

Do I have to have a domain name to use this?

Do I need to set up a separate public web server as well?

Is this actually going to be a net decrease in security for me opening up my OpenMediaVault to the Internet for LetsEncrypt validation?

I noticed that at some point a LetsEncrypt tab appeared under Services. Having an SSL certificate so web browsers stop complaining when I visit my OpenMediaVault sounds nice, but it's not immediately apparent to me how to use this service.

Do I have to have a domain name to use this?

Do I need to set up a separate web server as well?

Is this actually going to be a net decrease in security for me opening up my OpenMediaVault (which is currently only LAN accessible) to the Internet for LetsEncrypt validation?

This is all a bit over my head, if anyone would be willing to contribute a tutorial, that'd be really appreciated!

You need to add a bash login instead of pure shell or dash. Otherwise things like autocomplete or ctrl+r don't work.
    You can do that from the users management. If the user is not there means it has uid below 1000 then edit /etc/passwd file to the login.

Thanks, that worked. Is there a reason why it's desirable to default a user to dash?

I still have the problem with no home directory. I went to home and tried to create one, but I'm not quite sure how to do so. I tried to sudo mkdir a home directory, but apparently this user isn't authorized to use sudo? How do I correct that? Is this something I'm supposed to be doing manually?

For all of my SSH needs up until now, I've been connecting using the root account in order to handle system maintenance. However, I understand this isn't a best practice and I'd like to transition to using a regular user account for SSH.

I went to the Users tab and added my user to the group ssh. Now I can connect and the basics work. However, it's complaining about things like no home directory, the prompt looks different, and things like the backspace key and tab name auto-completion don't work properly.

Was there a different procedure I was supposed to follow to set up a regular user for SSH access? Did I do something wrong? How do I fix this?

Ok, this is my first time using gpart.
    When you said move the swap partition to the end of the drive, you mean move to the the right end or the bottom end of the logical partition?

http://www.technikaffe.de/anle…rung_der_systemfestplatte

Well, in my case, I had a lot of unallocated space at the end of the drive, and my objective was to expand the system partition to take up all of that space. My swap partition was contained in a logical partition and was between my system partition and the unallocated space, I believe this is standard.

So, in order to get my system partition to fill up the unallocated space, I needed to first push the swap partition and the logical partition containing it to the end of the drive (the right), so that the unallocated space would be next to the system partition.