Beiträge von Peter.Weyland

Appreciate the effort but you're asking people to run an undocumented script blind on their system?

First issue : The very first statement 'set -e' is problematic as it naively tries to tell the script to exit on any error. No error checking is contained in the script. This directive is full of gotcha's http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/105

Honestly, if had the skills to read through and understand every uncommented line then I could do it myself anyway.

PW

I understand, thank you.
    After doing a bit of homework a much better solution is to just apt install the latest rclone deb & setup Cron jobs for it. Tested tonight with Wasabi & Alibaba.

Thank you for trying to be helpful ryecoaaron. Docker hub pages I have looked at have little to no info.

In the case of the minio client, it's a command line utility, it's usage is explained man page style but the Docker page is useless.

Deploying Docker directly in your host OS & pulling the minio client container is clearly documented by minio & a blog post from Alibaba.

As for doing so within the OMV Docker plug in, I'm lost. Clearly a deep dive into all things Docker would be needed to go this route.

I'll repost here any info I can discover for the benefit of others.

Cheers
    PW

Update : How to get minio client working from command line to talk to Alibaba Cloud OSS

1) By installing Docker via OMV-Extras plugin I effectively have Docker installed in my host OS - this was a point of confusion for me.
    Docker & the minio client container can also be installed conventionaly from command line.

Walk through Docker install here : https://www.digitalocean.com/c…nd-use-docker-on-debian-9

Then add minio :

docker pull minio/mc

This can be checked by going to shell in a box and entering :

sudo systemctl status docker

2) Using the OMV-Extras Docker plugin to search for & install the official minio client works as expected. Minio is available in my host OS via Docker container.

3) Minio aka mc, will need to be configured to run against S3 compatible servers, start the container this way:

docker run -it --entrypoint=/bin/sh minio/mc

* mc stores all its configuration information in ~/.mc/config.json file. This can be changed using mc config. So, taking this info I'm guessing that I can arbitrarily create a shared folder '/docker/mc/' and add this to the minio client docker config within OMV plugins?

4) Next use the mc config syntax to configure mc for usage with Alibaba Cloud OSS:

mc config host add oss <OSS_Endpoint> <OSS_ACCESS_KEY> <OSS_SECRET_KEY>

How to apply information this to the Docker plugin gui for minio client is the last step to solving this.
    Will update later.

PW

I have the docker plugin installed via omv-extras, i have the official minio client docker container installed via this Docker plugin.
    I'd love to know how to then configure this minio client docker container.

For example, do I use bridge or hosts? If hosts, what volumes & bind mounts do I specify?
    Search engines come up dry. The one weakness of Docker that jumps out at new users is that unless the user has intimate knowledge of the contained app then they are stuck.

I can try adding the official client directly to the host OS (OMV) but I'm worried about contaminating the system, preferring to use containerised apps.

PW

The ISO uses the 4.9 kernel which I guess a bit behind others BUT as soon as you update after installation, you should get the 4.19 backports kernel which is ahead of most of the others.

Did you try fb=false or radeon.modeset=0 or radeon.blacklist=yes? Did you remove quiet? Did you try nomodeset without double dashes?

I can't get to the first page of the text mode installer so updating is moot.
    Thank you for these kernel parameters to try. I will report back.

Code
    vga=normal

This parameter got me into the text mode installer.
    Thank you for your suggestions though.

[papercut] Once installed I erroneously got a message 'no network interface found'
    I was still able to log in as root then apt update && apt full-upgrade nevertheless... log out, dsconnect keyboard & monitor, reboot & log into the web interface from another PC.

[papercut] Unable to create a RAID array because they were not listed in the RAID create gui. I executed a 'Wipe' & magically they appeared.
    These disks were already prepared correctly & have been previously able to be RAID'ed from the command line with out problem on other OS's. Who knows why...

Thanks again for your courteous, helpful responses.

Cheers
    PW

Debian has a large team of developers. OMV, save for ryecoaaron's efforts with omv-extras... is a 1 man show when it comes to writing the software. It's not practical for Volker to repack the ISO's every time there's a new kernel or point release. Debian on the other hand, it's quite practical due to the number of devs, etc.. and there's probably someone who's sole job, is to update and create ISO's.

Most people this is not an issue unless you are using extremely new hardware, as you are.

Sorry if that is to vague and generic for you.

unnecessary

We use OMV server as dataserver to video production. Server and workstations has 10G ethernet link and hardware RAID6 (36 6TB SATA disks) (Adaptec 8885Q). Now we use AFP shares, and it works with datarates near 850 magabytes/sec read/write. We want to change AFP sharing to SMB. But if we mount disks by smb datarates is near 130 megabytes in MAC stations. In windows workstations al work good (same datarates as AFP in MAC os). I sink? this is problem in MACOS SMB protokol realization? but maybe we need to change something in the settings of OMV.

Up to a point Apple used SAMBA, then they removed it & shipped with their own proprietary version. That version sucked, defaulting to SMB1. All through this saga Macolytes & Apple support insisted it was our servers not their OS. Following revisions of MacOS then reverted to SAMBA & things went back to normal. The Macolytes & Apple were full of it.
    You will need to use a search engine to check the version of MacOS you have against SMB to see if your are affected.
    I'm sorry I have forgotten the dates, we stopped using Mac during this nonsense (as it dragged on for a long time).

Since you seem a bit more contrite now, if you're truly having an issue because the kernel image on OMV the OMV ISO, you can download the current mini ISO for Debian Stretch, do a minimal install, and then install OMV on top of it. The official Debian ISO's are updated frequently. For instance, the current Netinst image, which you'd want to use.. was published on 2/16/19, the current OMV ISO was pushed out in March of '18.

Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)

Contrite? Snort, yes even Debian make an effort to keep their install media more up to date.
    Thanks for the suggestion to just install Debian & then look at how to then 'install OMV on top of it'.
    I'll try the suggested kernel params first then think about the rigamarole of Debian + OMV. In the long run it may be the better option anyway..

Cheers

The ISO uses the 4.9 kernel which I guess a bit behind others BUT as soon as you update after installation, you should get the 4.19 backports kernel which is ahead of most of the others.

Did you try fb=false or radeon.modeset=0 or radeon.blacklist=yes? Did you remove quiet? Did you try nomodeset without double dashes?

I can't get to the first page of the text mode installer so updating is moot.

Thank you for these kernel parameters to try. I will report back.

Hello OMV community.

I booted from USB, the latest 4 ver OMV available on Sourceforge.
    First splash screen with a list of selections is fine.
    Press enter on 'Install' and I get corrupted unreadable video.
    I'm guessing the dogged insistence on basing off Debian means OMV hardware support lags far behind the other mainstream distro's?

I tried inserting "--nomodeset" into the kernel parameters without success.
    Does anyone know what, if any, kernel parameters I can use to continue the installation without corrupted video?

Hardware:
    AMD Athlon 200GE CPU (Radeon Vega Igfx)
    ASUS A320M-E motherboard

Tested with:
    Ubuntu & derivatives - Works OOTB
    Fedora, Centos & derivatives - Works OOTB
    Debian - Fail

Please don't reply with vague generic advice, ad hom's or distro evangelising.
    Specific advice sought, if known.

Have a nice day.

If you have the luxury of changing NIC's, Intel is your best bet followed by Broadcom based cards. Realtek & other cheapie cards are worst performing.

Any NIC made for server such as a Dell or HP is much better than consumer cards.

There are tuneable SMB parameters on client & server which may help a little.

SMB is a noisy inefficient protocol with many & implementations consider using a different protocol! No seriously! Use FTP or AFP or NFS if you can.

Thanks for the opinions. What about corruption or bit rot? Is a UPS a good idea?

UPS if you can afford it yes.
    I'd recommend a brand you can buy & get serviced locally. They do fail. Alternatively buy cheap but keep a spare for when the first dies.

Bit rot. A big concern in enterprise environments & tons of money is thrown at it via very technical means. Expensive RAID setups, expensive server grade motherboards with ECC RAM & exotic file systems etc..

In DIY/SOHO environment make redundant offline copies with cheap storage eg a HDD in a small fire proof safe & another HDD at a secure third party location. 'Cloud' backups are all the rage. I'm not a fan of it but it suits some.

There is no truly satisfactory answer to archival storage for home users AFAIK at this point in time.

$4000 servers? Those are servers I maintain that I was using as an example for the broadcom NICs not the servers I run at home :) My main server at home is self-built and has an eight drive raid 5 array of Samsung F4 2 TB drives that I paid $60 each. I use a Cyberpower CP1350 UPS. So, my home setup is right inline with the OP's parameters :)

My rough rule of thumb regarding NIC's was in the context of SOHO. Your reply was regarding enterprise gear. Of course enterprise NIC's work well, that's why they're so pricey.
    In my country 2Tb HDD's will set back a SOHO user AUD100 - AUD200 (new) each. Sounds like you have a nice little setup at home. Just remember, with RAID 5+ it's all wonderful when it works but when it doesn't kiss your data goodbye. Cheers mate!

While I agree that Intel NICs are top notch, my Dell servers (T410, T430 - both use BCM5716) are just as stable and fast as my Intel NICs.

I have no problems recommending raid 5 for a server that is running 24/7 with battery backup. Adding one extra drive doesn't require deep pockets. I still have faith in raid as well. I have lost a drive in the past. Having a raid 5 array allowed me to wait a few hours to fix (yes, I have backups) and the people using it never knew.

Twin $4000 servers + RAID 5 array's ($$$) + UPS big enough to power it al ($$$$$) ... a little outside the OP's parameters don't you think? :P

Mouth watering fantasy for SOHO users

I've seen $10,000 arrays go down in the first 5 minutes. I've lost count of how many expensive UPS units I've had to return for repair.

Call me gnarled & cynical :)

Thanks ryecoaaron. I keep going to and fro with these options, G4400/gigabyte, i3/supermicro, or asrock c2750 board! I just can't justify the premium of the c2750 for the potential power savings, espeically if it's not as capable as the i3...how much power could it save, hopefully not that much in comparison to an efficient i3?

and the supermicro is a bit of a risk when purchasing overseas, so I'm more comfortable buying the cheaper options. but as i said it means no ECC/dual nic. I can spring for a dual Intel NIC on gigabyte board for an extra $100 if that's worth it.

this is mainly for storage, but I want to RAID the server to protect the data. I guess there's a risk of corrupting and losing it all as well. My backup system would be with USB drives, one onsite/offline and one offsite (monthly swap to my parents house). that's only for the irreplaceable data (personal photos/videos) that can't be replaced. there's is an option to replicate online to my parents house as well, but I like being able to take USB offline (reduce cryptolocker risk).

Greetings from Oz.

From personal experience I rate the Asrock boards above Gigabyte (less buggy firmware & more active support).

I would lean toward more power efficient CPU's rather performance unless you're really going to be hammering your NAS with apps running on it as well in which case a new low power Core i5 is my recommendation.

N.B. Encryption is becoming a more important part of our lives with each passing day. Choose a CPU which supports AES-NI extensions as this greatly improves its power to handle on the fly encryption tasks. OpenVPN? File encryption/decryption?

ECC ram gives some peace of mind but is controversial. Probably not a top priority at home.

We all want our terabytes of family memories & other stuff to move around/back up etc as quickly as possible. You would be amazed what a difference in throughout there is between manufacturers. Intel NIC's are top notch, Broadcom based NIC's fall behind in performance but not too bad & Realtek NIC's are bottom of the performance ladder. Especially under Linux.

Don't get caught up too much on RAID. For home use 0 for performance or 1 for alleged safety. Levels above that are for Fortune 500 companies or folks with very deep pockets & misplaced faith in RAID..

For multiple reasons by all means have USB offline/near line backups. It's cheap & a life saver.

If you're going to build a NAS I recommend use good gear or forget it & buy a SOHO off the shelf NAS. Cobbling together a 'cheap' DIY NAS will disappoint.

Have you looked at the HP micro servers as a basis for setting up a DIY box? If too costly look in Gumtree. Bargains to be had there.

Hello

My son is a professional DJ and maintains a huge music and video library. I am building him a server based on OMV to store all his media in backup. He needs to sync two of his work laptops whenever new music is released/added as well as pull down songs for events that are not currently on the laptop but stored on the OMV Server. All the media is owned/purchased or used via a licensing service.

Looking for advice on what Program/App to use for this functionality? Are these three programs what I am looking for?

Rsync for cerebral command line personalities (professional sys admins).

Freefilesync nice graphical easy to use yet powerful application for the rest of us.

Personally I prefer to use a gui app compared to poring through cryptic log files & man pages.

YMMV