Backup System Suggestions

• Hey All,

I've got a 9TB pool(only 2TB currently used ) that I'm planning to do weekly incremental backups.

I have 3 options:

1) I currently have a usb 3.0 4TB external drive, I could buy another 5TB drive and pool them together for rsync backups. I have plentyof usb 3.0 ports available.

2) I have a 2 Bay Qnap that my current OMV system replaced. I can buy a couple drives and use rsync with that. Slow read/writes but it works and is low powered.

3) I have a pretty old Compaq desktop with 4 sata ports that I can install OMV on as well and use rsync between the machines.

I feel the external drive pool option will be most cost efficient but I'm not sure if there are any unforseen issues with pooling externals, or if there are unmounting issues woth usb ports.

Any suggestions on what you guys might feel is a better option?

OMV 1.9 - Lenovo Thinkserver TS140 - Xeon E3-1200 v3 Series w/ 8GB Ram: 3 x 3TB WD RED - AUFS Pool, 1 x 16GB Samsung SSD System Drive
    Plex - Syncthing - Couchpotato - Sonarr - NUT

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, it depends on what exactly you want.

1. Gives you the flexibility to have an "off site" backup, if you need/want it. Probably will be the fastest of the 3. Personally, this is the option I use because I keep the drive at my parents house, which gives me some protection against data loss in the event of fire, flood, etc. (Note: My external is not pooled)

2. I'm not really familiar w/ the QNap's, so no comment here one way or the other, but you seem to think it would be the slwoer of the 3.

3. I like this idea better than the QNap, simply because I've always been a "roll my own" type.

So, for me, the answer is #1.. if Pooling is discovered to be an issue, I'd go #3.

• Thanks guys, pooled External USB it will be!

OMV 1.9 - Lenovo Thinkserver TS140 - Xeon E3-1200 v3 Series w/ 8GB Ram: 3 x 3TB WD RED - AUFS Pool, 1 x 16GB Samsung SSD System Drive
    Plex - Syncthing - Couchpotato - Sonarr - NUT

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!