Posts by KM0201

Flash media is really cheap. The price difference between 8, 16, and 32 is going to be miniscule at best. 8 is minimum, I would personally go 16 or 32. That said, if your system is set up properly, 8 should be fine. I've got a lot of dockers, etc. going on my system and I'm using 2.8gigs on my system partition (that is not counting the swap space).

That was actually super easy. I stopped the container. Edited the stack with the web editor, clicked save and bingo.. The container was up running and all my changes were available from Plex so all good. Thanks for support, its taken a bit time to get used to the concepts.

All of these folks freaking out about not having plugins anymore (I see folks on reddit say all the time they will never upgrade 4 because they don't want to use docker.. yeah lets see how that goes)... If they would just take even a few hours and sit down and apply themselves to getting familiar with docker.. they'd wonder how they ever ran a server without it. I only really adopted docker about a year ago... I put it off forever.... now... it is absolutely the first thing I look to when wanting to add a service to my nas.

Docker-compose is intimidating at first, but with stacks.. it makes it pretty darn easy if you're not comfortable in the command line. A few months ago I reinstalled from scratch and had docker compose files ready to go for all my services. From install on bare metal, to all my services up (total of 15 containers), it was right around 90min as I recall.. and probably 10min of that was setting up the nextcloud docker, as I do it "the hard way". Still considerably faster than setting up plugins, etc..

Keep at it and post questions when needed.. pretty soon you'll feel like a pro at it.

Excellent! I thought the part after the : had to be fixed folder name for plex... that's easy then

Whats the easiest way to make those updates in my container config using portainer?

Under most circumstances, no. Some containers will require certain folders to run properly... but something like Plex where it's just looking for a folder to scan for data... it's not an issue.

Edit: As far as changing it. You can click on the container name, then one of the buttons at the top should say "Edit"... go to that, and then the volumes tab, and make your adjustments.

Someone above mentioned using stacks, so if you used stacks, just edit the stack and click save, and it should deploy with the changes (i know this is works, but I'm having trouble remembering exactly how it's set up in the portainer UI, and I'm not near my server)

just change whatever is after the : to whatever you name it.

/srv/../OLD_Shows:/old_tv_shows This would make the directory show in plex as "old_tv_shows"

Can only imagine you installed on one of the other drives but did not change the boot order.

Try to install with only one drive attached. And as Marc mentioned, for OMV a USB thumb drive is enough.

I'm gonna take a WAG and say he probably installed OMV to another one of his drives, and if he boots that drive, it will boot.

OMV is best installed to boot from a USB stick and then use all 3 HDs for data.

I have never installed it on a HD.

I disagree. Installing to a hard drive is just fine (and actually how it was designed... USB installs were an after thought).

Installing it properly is the key, which this user did not.

You'll need a drive to install OMV to (or a flash drive if you use the flash memory plugin). It would appear the machine meets minimum specs.

It's possible whether it's doable is another matter, I haven't used partitioning at least for storage for a long time on a windows box never saw the need for it, but if disk manager failed then gparted should work on live linux distro.

Well, partitioning storage drives is a whole other matter... I'm not even sure why he did that on a Windows system, let alone OMV. Just makes no sense.

I saw this post yesterday and decided to pass ;) but to answer, in windows you would have to use Disk Management, that's assuming the drive/s have been partitioned with Windows prior to adding them it/them to OMV.

Well it appears he has 3 partitions on sdc, so you'd think Windows could whack one of those and extend the other into it's space.

If not, Gparted should be able to do it

They're NTFS... just do it with Windows (I don't know how to do it with Windows, but I'm sure Windows has some sort of partition tool).

Beyond that, you really shouldn't be using NTFS with OMV.... it works, but you're going to get headaches eventually. I personally would focus on getting those drives formatted to a Linux filesystem.

I don't find the step when i have to unchecker the "options" !

Where did I say you choose options at the menu?

Boot install media. Only drives that should be connected are your install media, and your OS drive.

Go through the install process, basically just enter requested info. When it comes time to install software, uncheck everything (arrows and space bar) except SSH server and standard system utilities.

Thank you so much for this, but when i install OMV ISO, i don' have any thing to uncheckend !

Maybe i can try whith Debian Mini IOS ?

The OMV ISO is more streamlined than using the debian mini iso.... the debian iso is actually a network installer and can be used to do a full network install of Debian (can be useful in some situations).

The OMV ISO will install what you need, if you can use it... use it. What problem are you having with the OMV ISO?

IF you're using the mini ISO, just continue along, with the install.. you'll know when it asks you on what packages you want installed (it's towards the end).

Thank you so much for this, but when i install OMV ISO, i don' have any thing to uncheckend !

Maybe i can try whith Debian Mini IOS ?

The OMV ISO is more streamlined than using the debian mini iso.... the debian iso is actually a network installer and can be used to do a full network install of Debian (can be useful in some situations).

The OMV ISO will install what you need, if you can use it... use it. What problem are you having with the OMV ISO?

Hi everybody !

How do install Debian mini and install OMV !?

(Stupid question ?)

If you can install using the OMV ISO, it's much easier.. but if you can't...

Download the Debian Mini ISO. Download the appropriate arch for your system (under small CD or USB stick)... https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

Use Etcher to put the ISO on a flash drive https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Boot install media. Only drives that should be connected are your install media, and your OS drive.

Go through the install process, basically just enter requested info. When it comes time to install software, uncheck everything (arrows and space bar) except SSH server and standard system utilities.

When it's done, boot your NAS (with only the OS drive attached) and SSH the server from a client machine on your network.

Follow the instructions here to use the OMV 5 install script. https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…-Developers/installScript

This did the trick-

Thank You for the suggestion.

I'm still wondering why 'man' wasn't in the correct $PATH though or I guess just not installed? Doesn't it come with Debian by default?

It wasn't in $PATH because it was not installed. Did you check now after you installed it? I didn't realize it wasnt installed in 4... I realized it about 5, a few weeks ago when I went to use it for something.

This seems to be a common problem if you installed OMV on top of Debian, and after installing Docker (it has never happened to me when using the OMV iso). I have no explanation as to why.

Just log in as root and run omv-firstaid and choose the option to reconfigure network connection. You may end up with a different IP when it's done, so double check your IP address with hostname -I (uppercase i)

I am happy to report that I took the advice early on in the thread to get OMV4 while it is still available.

My expectations for OMV have been lowered through this experience and that is a good thing. To me, I will simply think of OMV as a good general purpose Linux server implementation with a decent webGUI and some good essentials built in. I'll install, configure and manage the "extras" myself.

Last step is to decommission the trusty Stone Burner installation and re-purpose the drives.

I find it crazy you find installing software on a server the "normal" way easy, yet you find docker and/or portainer, so confusing? I'm not so sure if your expectations of OMV should be lower, but your ability to adapt is.

When I first started with docker (probably about a year ago).. I just put OMV in a virtual machine and started practicing... reading tutorials, watching videos, etc. Probably within a few hours, I had a pretty good understanding over it and could install basic containers (linuxserver, and a few others) w/o issue. More reading and a few days.. and I was able to install some more complex containers. When I heard the docker-plugin was going away... I did the same thing and installed portainer. Portainer is very easy if you've spent any time with the docker plugin.. it should make sense to you in little time (but portainer is considerably better)... then you start getting into how to deploy containers with docker-compose/docker-run.. I can set up my whole server in about an hour from scratch, because I have a bunch of docker-compose files backed up.