Posts by KM0201

I did the fresh install ...three times since yesterday :D
    do You mean this alternative installation? Does it make any difference compared to typical instalation which in my case is good, everything works fine. I can access, docker, portainer, add drives, shares, install and use duckdns, airsonic, syncthing, filebrowser. The only problem is wanishing GUI of OMV. Since installed everything i need, and still can install components via portainer or yacht that would be enough. But i forgot to set SAMBA shares and can't add external drive to nextcloud <X

It sounds like you're setting up something to take port 80... which OMV needs.

Log in via SSH or Console as root and run omv-firstaid One of the options is to 'Configure web control panel'.. choose that and when it asks for the port, change it from 80, to another port on your server that is not in use (say, 81).. Then save the changes.

Now to get to the OMV webui try going to yourserverip:port

Your post doesn't make sense... You're using OMV on a Banana Pi, you're planning a new build and you plan to run OMV the new build, but you read once or twice people using OMV here? (Probably a lot more than once or twice since this is a forum dedicated to OMV).

You don't really say what you're planning to use it for, but generally in a home environment the only real downside is people either not building a proper server (ie, thinking a Pi Zero should be able to do everything a 64bit PC should) or people just not following simple instructions on setting up a home server... neither of which are OMV's fault, The biggest "problem" with OMV is quite often an inexperienced user base. The OS is very stable since it is based on Debian 10 and once you get it set up how you want it, it's more or less "set it and forget it".

You don't really need an OMV guide... Just follow any Plex server guide out there for Debian Buster (I'm assuming we are talking OMV 5 here). Main thing is just make sure Plex doesn't use Port 80, which OMV uses (It doesn't by default I don't think, so it shouldn't be an issue).

I've not tried it, but a quick look at this one it should work, or maybe Plex has official instructions on their site.

https://www.linuxbabe.com/debi…a-server-debian-10-buster

What does the bios page say? I'm assuming it is giving you some message? Is only the SSD attached during install? It's almost impossible to have a grub issue if you install per the instructions.

Disconnect unplug all drives except the is drive and your installer (I'm assuming a flash drive).

Install.

When you're done, remove flash drive and let it reboot.

Once it reboots, shut down, connect your data drives, and it should boot back to the login prompt normally

If it doesn't, post back.

I've not really had time to look at it to be honest as work has been a little on the nutty side (moreso than usual).. I think I'm off Monday.. I'll look further at it then.. but you may be on to something there.

I think there's been a change w/ the swag container because I can't get nextcloud back up (Looks like it was updated 4 days ago... I've been working a lot so I've not checked my nextcloud). I'm getting my certificate OK, and I've edited all my configs just as before.. but I just get a message this page cannot be managed via https when I go to my subdomain

I'll look at it later.

Oddly enough, I just noticed my own nextcloud (my actual nextcloud install on my server) wasn't running. I'll check this real quick. Maybe it's incompatible with old databases, but with new ones it's fine?

Regardless, at least on x64 it does appear to work with latest.

First, the mariadb "latest", which is implied in your yml runs on mariabionic, which is incompatible (will give you errors on NC) with the "latest" version of NC (v21).

Is this something unique to SBC's?

I've always used mariadb:latest and have never had a problem and just tested it in a virtual machine and had it going in 5min. :latest definitely pulled the ubuntu version

I do agree though, it sounds like he's running those commands on the host rather than bashing into the container (OP, see example above on how to bash into the container)

Just looking at the specs (quad core Celeron w/2gb of ram) you should be able to, but I've never seen that one mentioned here.... You haven't mentioned what you want to do with omv. Just file storage? It would be fine I would think. Using Plex and to stream media to devices in the house and possibly transcoding that media? You would probably be disappointed

Do you guys recommend a good Server Case (with at least 6 bay x 3.5" swapable HDD drives)?

There's options... I personally thought for sure I wanted hot swap on my current build, and when I did some upgrades about 6yrs ago, I got a hot swap case. I honestly hardly ever use it now and wish I hadn't ponied up for a case w/ hot swap.

Understand I'm anal retentive as hell about details, planning, etc.. but here's what I did for the build I'll probably be doing in May (I've already started assembling some of the stuff)

Sit down pen/paper and figure out what you want to do with your server, then figure out what hardware you need (bare bones), what you want, and what you dream of (money is no object)

Use Google, etc. to find components, read reviews, etc. Use https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ to do some mock builds for all 3 to figure out where you are pricewise. If it's to high, figure out where you can sacrifice... If it's way under budget, maybe consider upgrading some other components to get closer to that "dream build" Eventually, you're very likely to come up with something between dream and want.. and hopefully be happy with it. Once you've got a finalized list, post here and see if anyone sees any major red flags (there usually isn't unless you are buying super bleeding edge stuff)

First, yes it can be. As I recall, QNap's are typically just some intel core processor... so you should be able to install OMV on them relatively easily. Not sure on Synology, but there are threads here on installing OMV on both.

However, think about the whole picture (or at least this is how I looked at it when considering this)

If some component goes out on the QNap, Synology or any store bought server like this and it is out of warranty.. It's quite possible you're going to be stuck on eBay or craigslist looking for donor machines to get your server back up. Often something as simple as RAM is soldered in making it difficult for the average home user to fix on their own

With a build, it's as simple as ordering something from Amazon, etc. if something goes wrong. PSU goes bad? Order another one. Ram module goes haywire? Order another one.. list goes on. If in a few years you want to upgrade something because of some new thing you want to do.. .the only thing that will stop you is your wallet. The server you "buy" is going to be limited here most likely.

For me, that's why I will always build as opposed to buy.

Seems your indention is wrong.

Portainer helps here a lot. It shows a small red dot with an x inside, if something is wrong.

This is why I usually tell newbs wanting to try docker-compose, to start with Portainer and stacks. If there's a formatting error (as there often can be when copying/pasting from websites).. it will be pointed out and you won't be able to deploy if it isn't right..

U

You added the repo incorrectly.. who told you to do that?

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/buster-backports.list

Correction... If all of that you posted is in your backports file, You need to delete all those lines except the one that starts with deb

Cntrl X, then Y to save

Then go to the webUI...

Open omv-extras menu

Click the Updates button

Choose apt-clean

then omv-update