Posts by KM0201

You can install Portainer with docker-compose and have control over your port number and config location. When it’s time to upgrade just run docker-compose pull portainer and then docker-compose up -d. My guess is that if you try to upgrade this way with an existing Portainer (GUI) install you will break it. It’s best implemented with a fresh (docker-compose) install.

HT KM0201 here.

I tried to change an existing install by just changing the /data volume.. It failed every time. I love the simplicity of the button in the webUI (and it's great for new users). Obviously the way it is designed, it has to be a one size fits all approach. As someone a little beyond a newb, I use docker-compose so I can set my data volume. After that, it's all compose files in stacks. This makes restoring from a backup, adjusting and redploying containers, etc.. so so much easier.

The B460 Chipsets are pretty new as I recall... (I tend to buy "last years" tech... It may be supported well, I just seem to remember reading issues on them)

USB installs are just fine. Key thing is to install OMV-extras, and then install the flash-memory plugin, as this will reduce the writing on the flash drive.

now i tested all what you said +clearing cache with brave browser +testing in diferent browsers. This hapened about 10 months ago and in that time the server was in building so i went for the fresh install route , now the things have changed and are that if i touch will demand some learning afterwards to repair .

The system really is more or less "set it and forget it" if it's set up properly... Other than logging in every couple days to run updates, I don't mess w/ my system very much at all

Sounds like docker isn't running

Code
    systemctl status docker | grep Active

I tried to do this, created storage within portainer, assigned what containers I could figure out how to use it.

I'm still new to docker, portainer, OMV, Debian... I'm not confident it's all where I expect it to be.

Lol

What is the output of

Code
    docker info | grep Root

That will tell you where your dockers are stored.

Well that looks good.

Rule out a cache issue.. Open your browser in Privacy/Incognito mode, and see if you can log in.

If you can, go back to a normal browser, go to the sign on screen, and on most browsers, Hold Shit, Control and hit R.

Check if your OS drive is full... This is a common side effect.

What is the output of

Code
    df -h /

OMV uses https://netplan.io/

So you could edit /etc/netplan/*.yaml based on these examples https://netplan.io/examples/

Interesting... I never knew this... mine is 20-openmediavault-enp1s0.yaml

So I could change my IP (192.168.1.166)... and that would change it? I would think the webUI would overwrite that file once he restarted...

I have a bunch of docker containers, and spent quite a bit of effort getting it working.

Is rebuilding my only option?

If your container folder and configuration folders (ie /config) are not on your OS drive, then it's just a simple matter of pointing docker back at your containers folder, and everything will be as it was before this happened.

Did you read the error. It tells you exactly what to do.

you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem

So....

I would ssh my server and become root, and run the command... Usually this is caused by an update getting interrupted

Code
    dpkg --configure -a

LOL, 106gb in documents?

I've got tax returns/documents from 20yrs, and am not even 10gigs (I guess if you have a lot of family photos you may be including those there)