vmware-tools

• Is there any good tutorial on how to install vmware-tools on openmediavault?

In any case (following what freenas and nas4free did) I really think it would be a great idea to include these by default in the next built.

Appreciated!
    rs232

• Offizieller Beitrag

VMware has a pretty good tutorial for installing the tools here. Basically, download the file, untar it, and run the install script.

It would be tough to include it because I think you need the build-essentials package for gcc and make which would make the image much bigger.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The typical usecase is to run this on a physical box. It does not prevent you from running it inside of a vm, but you simply have to make the nessesary steps on your own. Applying VMware tools as a default simply would grow it in size and make it more complex for the other users with normal physical boxes.

For test purposes you can also leave the tools out if you like.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Thanks for that. In my understanding there are plenty of virtualised NASes out there, non than less nas4free and freenas have vmwaretools installed by default.
    I'm not suggesting OMW should do exactly what they do but being those older projects they are indeed better established and have gone through these discussions already.

I still think it's a good idea, what the problem in having a larger installation?

Alternatively... since OMV has a plugin funtionality how about develop a plugin for that?

• I know this is a bit late but still valid to answer. OpenMediaVault is Debian.

Put VMware Tools
    If you use VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) go to VM > Guest > Install/Upgrade VMware Tools

We must log in with root user. It is better if we start with update all the software in system first then reboot one time.

Code
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    shutdown -r now

Install compiler and Linux Header with command

Code
    apt-get update && apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) libglib2.0-0

Mount VMware Tools disc and extract file

Code
    mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
    tar xvfz /mnt/VMwareTools-*.tar.gz -C /tmp/

Start installing VMware Tools with command

Code
    perl /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib/vmware-install.pl

Then press Enter to all the questions to use all default answer. Then reboot again and it will be done.

Code
    shutdown -r now
  • Please substitute 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' with 'omv-update'. (At least for the newest versions)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!