Major Hardware Upgrade, pointers requested

• I have not found much in the way of posts for hardware upgrades, so curious about pointers, potential failure points, etc. I will list my current and new (to me) hardware and software configuration.

Current machine:
    Home built (circa 2001, with changes due to device failures)
    AMD Sempron 2400+ (32bit single core)
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB
    1 GB Memory (believe it was Corsair 333MHz or 166MHz DDR)
    Some SATA PCI card from Amazon
    (Qty 2) 2TB WD Red Drives SATA 3, no RAID, using cron to update backup drive
    80GB IDE drive (system drive)

New (to me) machine:
    Dell PowerEdge 840
    Intel Xeon x3220 (64bit quad core 2.4GHz)
    4GB ECC memory

I am running the Plex plugin with only music on the WD drives (old processor can't handle the transcoding, but intend to host video), a few small SMB shares, OpenVPN AS, owncloud, and a Mumble server outside of the OMV environment.

My quest is two-fold:
    1. Migrate to the new machine
    2. Upgrade to the latest 2.x version

Again, any pointers are appreciated, if there is a quick guide or step by step that I have missed, please let me know. I would also like to know if there is a list of system configs that need to be backed up to aid in a migration failure. I did see something about just moving the drives and running omv-firstaid, but I have not used this tool before and I would like to take advantage of the 64-bit processor, which I assume requires a new install.

Thank you,

jsTronix

• Yes, I have been pouring through the pages of posts in the Guides section, this section, and the My NAS build section hoping to find something related to upgrading from 32bit to 64bit, but have yet to find anything of importance to me.

To ensure I understand correctly:

• backup my config.xml
    • shut down, remove all drives
    • reinstall my system drive in new system
    • start the installation process with the 64-bit ISO (assuming I can go straight to 2.1)
    • copy the config.xml back to /etc/openmediavault
    • shutdown
    • follow Post-Installation Steps section of the post you linked

Does that sound about right? I know this all sounds pretty n00bish, but I am just trying to save myself as much work as possible.

Thanks again,

jsTronix

• NO. The configure.xml is just for your reference - do not paste it in your new installation. This could lead to a useless installation. Unfortunately, you have to reconfigure everything manually.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!