Whats is your experience with 24 bays rackmount cases?

• I'm considering one of the following cases.Has anyone experience with the following 24 rackmount cases? If so can you share your experience? Whats the quality of the case and the backplane? etc.

X-Case EXtra Value RM 424 - 24 Hotswap Bays

X-Case RM424 Pro 24 Bay Hotswap Storage Server Case

X-Case RM424-EX Pro 24 Bay Hotswap Storage Server Case- Expander Backplane

Ri-vier 4U 24bay storage chassis (With SGPIO) - RV-4324-01A

https://ri-vier.eu/rivier-4u-2…1a-p-285.html?cPath=1_3_7

IPC 4U-4424

http://www.inter-tech.de/index…haeuse&Itemid=755&lang=de

Edit June 12 2016: added new 24 bay cases.

• I'm very interested in the X-Case RM424-EX Pro 24 Bay Hotswap Storage Server Case- Expander Backplane. This chassis has a expander integrated in the backplane so you only need a hba or raid card with 8 ports (2 physically). Downside is of course the price of this chassis but if you need to buy a separate expander or a hba / raid card with 24 ports it also costs a lot of money.

Here is a little explanation. It gets interesting at 3:40.

https://youtu.be/SLz2muqcy98

• That look like a Supermicro SC846 chassis. Supermicro chassis have a very good build quality but there fans are screaming like jet engines. They all have 80mm fans and a lot are 7000 rpm. The positive effect is they can push a lot of air through the chassis.

• I don't have any experience with that one, but I have a NORCO RPC-4220 4U and I love it.

Check my signature for my nas build with pictures.

I also do not have a 24 bay case. I got a Norco 16 bay about 6 or 7 years ago which is very similar to the NORCO RPC-4220 but my case has 16 hot swap and 2 optical bays. I used adapters to allow me to get to 18 drives and I found SSD mounts that sit in unused PCI slots. I have my Server backup and OS drives on SSD drives. This allows the 16 hot swap and 2 internal mounts to be used for data drives.

I am jealous of anyone with either the 20 bay hot swap or the 24 bay hot swap cases. I started out with 2 TB drives but as they failed over the years I have replaced them with 4 TB drives at about the same cost as when originally installed the 2 TB drives.

I recently thought about how much it would cost to repopulate all those bays if I had to and it was a scary thought.

Word of warning don't go cheap and settle for Desktop Drives ... I would recommend nothing less than NAS drives. The 2 TB drives I started with failed too early for my liking and drive failures can be a real problem with Raid Arrays. I have been using Stablebit Drive Pool for my Windows Servers (not too expensive) but has redundancy and fault tolerance. For my OMV install I intend to use Greyhole which appears to be an open-source equivalent of Stablebit Drive Pool.

OMV 2 |64 bit|

Your Test Results are back: You are Granted License to Own a Computer But Your Recent Score Does Not Allow For You To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to it.
    You may study and retake the Exam ... If your score is sufficiently improved the License may be upgraded to allow for Mouse and Keyboard Connection.

• That look like a Supermicro SC846 chassis. Supermicro chassis have a very good build quality but there fans are screaming like jet engines. They all have 80mm fans and a lot are 7000 rpm. The positive effect is they can push a lot of are through the chassis.

Right! :)
    Is running with all the other servers in a seperate serverroom, so...no problem :D

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!