Replace eth0 with a RR bond of eth1 and eth2 ?

• Hello. I have a question about bonding. I now have eth0 enabled (1000 Mbit) which was configured during installation. It received an IP address through DHCP and I can acces and stream from the server.

However.... In the server is another card with a dual 1000 Mbit Intel network card. Both are disabled at the moment. In the old OMV (Fedaykin) system they were both with cables attached to my switch and in the switch a trunk is configured. So I think they were bonded then...

Is it wise to build a bond with eth1 and eth2 RR for better access and faster transfer speeds?
    I can configure a DNS in the bond. How do I add two DNS servers to the line? With a ; ???
    Once I configured a bond with a static IP address and I can access the server on this IP address what do I do with eth0?

These are all the things that pop into my mind atm... Hope one of you can answer some or all of my questions..

• So, you have one integrated NIC, and one dual ports NIC.
    I'm currently use bonding too.
    If I were you, I would bond the mobo NIC and one of the dual port.
    You can use it as RR, or TLB without a switch.

If you just bonding the two ports on the dual-port NIC, you may have a single point of failure if the NIC card has issue.

This is how you set up bond in OMV web gui:

1. You currently using eth0, Highlight eth0, click 'Delete', DO NOT click Apply yet!

2. Click 'Add' new interface, choose 'bond', select your NIC interfaces, and desire bond mode from the drop down, and the primary slave, and enter your desire DNS names....

3. Once you're done, click 'Apply'.

4. You now using bond0 with the same IP address as before.
    You can either set static IP in NIC interface menu or from your router IP reservation.

Regarding multiple DNS servers, use a ',' to separate them.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• Thank you tinh_x7. I am going to try that. Copying from and to the server now varies between 90-111 Mb\sec. We will see if this improves after the bonding of the two nics. I let you know...

• I F*UCKED UP!!! HELP.......

I made a stupid mistake. I bonded eth1 and eth2 TLB for testing purposes and gave it a static ip4 address (x.x.x.4), the gateway (x.x.x.1), the netmask 255.255.255.0 and two DNS servers seperated by a "," as instructed. I saved the configuration.

Once created I pinged .4 from a computer in the network a got 1ms pings back. Then I deleted my eth0. From that moment on I cannot get to my server.. I can not ping it anymore. :(

I don't know what to do! Please help!

• I did have a look in my router table and did see a static IP of .4 on the network. Then I typed "ip link show" on the command prompt and it gave me eth0 down. But both eth1 and eth2 are bond0 state UP.

Next I removed one cable from the NIC and now I can ping and access the GUI through a browser.. What is wrong?

*** screenshot of bond0 interface incleded.. Link is the icon next to network in the first line...

• Why do you need eth0 if you're using bond0 ?

I changed the bond0 from eth1+eth2 to eth0 (onboard nic)+eth1 (one of the two ports from my intel dual port card). Both eth0 and eth1 are wired and in the switch now and I can access the gui through my browser.
    The speed when copying files goes up to 113Mb/sec. I had hoped it would improve a bit more.

The third nic port I would like to use to do WOL.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!