No network connection after big file transfer

• Hi,
    I recently installed OMV 2 and whenever I transfer data (SMB/FTP) it will shutdown the networking on the OMV machine so I cannot ping it.
    I assume that something escalates with the amount of the data. When I start transferring a big file with 100MB/s it happens after a few seconds. When I transfer the same file over wifi (where I get about 22MB/s) it takes much longer till the network crashes. (Wifi on the client side. OMV is connected over lan)

The flashmemory plugin* is the only one installed and only Samba, FTP and SSH are turned on. In every other aspect it is a fresh install.

I'm unsure what else to post so I included the Support Info from OMV content1475575289.txt.
    What can I try to narrow down the problem?

Best regards,
    Daniel

* I installed the flashmemory plugin because I installed OMV on a SD Card and the speed wasn't sufficent which caused a very high load.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you install the backports kernel? There is a button to do that in omv-extras.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your reply.
    I installed the backports kernel, set it as default and rebooted but it hasn't solved the problem. I was transferring the 20GB file over wifi from a laptop and when I added the transfer over ethernet the transferspeed was about 10MB/s for about 2 seconds, then it dropped to 1 MB/s and a second later the machine was not responding over the network.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How long was OMV installed on the SD card before you install the flashmemory plugin?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've seen SD cards fail in less time than that. Even with the flashmemory plugin installed, there are still some writes to SD. If it were my system, I would reinstall on a new SD card (cloning old card will clone the problem).

• For testing I'll install OMV on the internal SSD which I currently use as a data drive in order to exclude problems with SD cards. All the other SD cards I'm currently having might have been in some Raspberry Pi or similar.

• Just to rule out another possible cause: I had similar problems once which turned out to be my Ethernet over power line plug overheating. Only a long, high activity process like transferring a big file would trip it. Then it cooled and came online again after about 5 minutes.

OMV 6 on Raspberry Pi 3/4/5, Odroid C2/HC2 and three cobbled together x64 boxes running Snapraid.

• Just to rule out another possible cause: I had similar problems once which turned out to be my Ethernet over power line plug overheating. Only a long, high activity process like transferring a big file would trip it. Then it cooled and came online again after about 5 minutes.

There is no Power over Ethernet device in the network.

• Ok, I've installed OMV on the internal SSD and connected a external USB3 HDD as a data drive. This did not solve the problem so I used the backports kernel again which didn't help either.
    During the installation of the backports kernel I noticed a output like:

Code
    Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-1.fw for module r8169

I did some research and installed firmware-realtek to solve this issue.

It did help (a little). I was able to transfer multiple GBs of data with a transferspeed of about 70-100 MB/s and it did not crash. After that I tried to see what happens when I transfer 2 Files over GigabitLAN and 1 file over WLAN. Of the 2 files over GigabitLAN one was saved in a RAM disk so there is no bottleneck.
    When I added the file transfer over Wlan it crashed again :(

(Most likely unrelated: The system does not boot into debian when there is no monitor connected.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Must be a hardware issue. Look in the logs (syslog, dmesg, whatever).

• Just to add my two cents: I have a very similar issue, but my networking stops working whenever I have more than 3 SMB transfers running at the same time. Three transfers and a bit of directory browsing is completly stable, but don't I dare to copy another file! All logs seem to be ok ... and as I don't see any promising errors/solutions I just live with it :( My NAS / network / whatever doesn't transfer more than ~90-100MB/s

daniel: Did you find out anything?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Realtek network adapter?

• The only network related things I found in dmsg is:

which seems fine to me.

Right now I'm running iperf with 5 connections for 2 hours. It's about 30 minutes in and has great speeds (~90 MB/s).
    Currently OMV is the server but I'll test it the other way around later. Depending on the results I'll try the same with heavy http file transfers.

If it's a hardware problem this should trigger the problem, shouldn't it?

As my OMV machine has two identical Realtek NICs, I'll try everything with the other one too.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It would be interesting to see if you have problems with an Intel network adapter in a pci-e slot.

• That wouldn't fit into the casing (https://www.zotac.com/de/product/mini_pcs/zbox-ci323-nano).

Well, there is news on the iperf but see for yourself:

So the transferspeed broke down to zero and now I've got 280 TB/s :'D
    (I'm not able to ping the OMV machine)

I'll now try the other network interface.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, anything other than a realtek adapter. Maybe a USB NIC? I would also be curious to run iperf with the system booted into systemrescuecd.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could try systemrescuecd right away. If that works well, you wouldn't need the usb nic.

• So I tried with the systemrescuecd and let iperf3 run for about 2 hours. Just to make sure I let it run for 10 hours afterwards and during the whole time it stayed between 95 and 105 MB/s. I guess there is nothing wrong with the hardware. (I did cancle the USB NIC).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!