Migration of OMV to a windows VM?

• Hello guys,

As some of you know from others posts, I have an HP Microserver Proliant G8.
    I have:
    - One SSD for the OMV system
    - A mirror of two HDD
    - A third HDD for backup of the RAID

I would like to use my Proliang G8 as an HTPC for media center (Kodi), streaming and other purposes but lesson is well learned to separate media center/htpc from NAS.
    First, I though having an ESXI, but I can't have the passthrough on the proliant G8 in order to have an HDMI TV connected to the VM.

So, I was wondering if I could install windows 10 to my proliant and have a VM on virtualbox with OMV.
    - Could I use the SSD for the windows OS and then keep the other disks as I have today, dedicated to my OMV?
    - I would provide a dedicated @IP to my OMV system and connect from my windows to the SMB shares (to the OMV VM)
    - Could I save the actual state of my OMV in a IMG and just run it on the future virtualbox of my windows?

Thank you in advance for your help!

• What do you need Windows 10 for ? Kodi runs on pretty much anything.

I wouldn't want a Microserver as a media center, because the fans and drives are a bit noisy to go under the TV.

You can run Kodi (or Plex) on a Raspberry or a $30 Android box. Those are fanless too.

• What do you need Windows 10 for ? Kodi runs on pretty much anything.

I wouldn't want a Microserver as a media center, because the fans and drives are a bit noisy to go under the TV.

You can run Kodi (or Plex) on a Raspberry or a $30 Android box. Those are fanless too.

Hello @Nibb31,

Thank for you answer but this was not my quesion and did not answer.

I already have the microserver under the TV and it is not noisy, it is pretty great. I already know all the possibilities for media center (raspberry, android tv, etc...), this is how I am already working, with a raspi. And I don't want to install Kodi on my debian with OMV as I want to separate NAS from other services which by the way, are not only media center purposes.

• I still don't understand why you would want Windows.

You could install both OMV and Kodi VMs side by side on Proxmox.

I wouldn't run a NAS VM inside Windows, with all the reboots that Windows forces you to go through.

• I still don't understand why you would want Windows.

You could install both OMV and Kodi VMs side by side on Proxmox.

I wouldn't run a NAS VM inside Windows, with all the reboots that Windows forces you to go through.

All right,

didn't think about the reboot things, that is a good point indeed.

Proxmox is similar to ESXI right? could I use Kodi on one of the VMs and use my graphic card in this VM? isn't this passtrough? I think it is not supported on proliant G8...

• Im actually facing similar situation now.

Ive bought ASROCK-J4205-ITX MB, to build NAS,Media Server in one (was also thinking about HP).

1. VM for OMV
    2. VM for Kodi (probably openELEC)
    3. VM for OS server (win,linux)

ESXi/Proxmox will be on separate HDD (other than NAS HDDs)

but im facing issue with ESXi/Proxmox that when i create VM with OMV - i cant mount the physical HDD into the VM, it wants to create some virtual disk image on the physical HDD.

Reason i dont want to go this way is that i have already data on that drive (EXT4) and still being used in my "old" NAS Zysel NSA-325.
    It makes no sense for me to copy all the data into some image on the same HDD, i dont even have that much space left.

Any advice how to do that? Thanks

• but im facing issue with ESXi/Proxmox that when i create VM with OMV - i cant mount the physical HDD into the VM, it wants to create some virtual disk image on the physical HDD.

What you want is to google HDD passthrough on Proxmox or ESXI. There are plenty of tutorials out there.

For some reason, ESXI didn't work for some of my drives. Proxmox works fine.

• I got read of my UnRaid setup in favor of OMV.

don't get me wrong, as a pure NAS server UnRaid is fine. and very stable. I had run server based on unraid 5.26beta for several years.
    but at the time I was looking for upgrader, unraid was so behind the time it was not overly useful for me.
    it is still based on Slackware which is not overly friendly if you go CLI, it heavily depends on plugins, even more, it depends on 3rd party plugins for core functionality(unless something changed in the last 3 years)
    it is a heavily customized proprietary distro where you need to wait for updates forever.
    I like OMV and even Proxmox/OMV setup better in comparison.

also, do not be fooled, unraid just like any other distro,depends on hardware VM support VT-D / IOMMU
    for hardware passthrough, and you still have to do it via CLI.
    so if it's all the same I prefer a more reliable and main mainstream distro over Slackware

YMMV

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von vl1969 ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!