hardware upgrade

• I will be upgrading the CPU, ram, mobo, and boot drive in my OMV box. What's the best way to migrate OMV to the new boot drive? Can I simply clone my existing boot drive and would OMV run well on the new hardware if I did it that way? I would assume a fresh install to the boot drive would be best.

If I do a fresh install, I should be able to mount my disks that are already full of data, right? I'm not using raid, just individually mounted ext4 disks. I use snapraid for parity. After mounting, I just need to configure the shares same as before and add users?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I simply clone my existing boot drive and would OMV run well on the new hardware if I did it that way?

Yes. I would use clonezilla. You will probably need to run omv-firstaid to fix the networking though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also, can I copy my boot drive using rsync?

You can but that won't copy the bootloader for grub.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Yes. I would use clonezilla. You will probably need to run omv-firstaid to fix the networking though.

So it will run as well as a fresh install? Just need to run omv-firstaid to get networking up? If this will run just as well as a fresh install, this may be the way to go.

You can but that won't copy the bootloader for grub.

I was thinking I would copy the drive just so I had a backup of all my configuration files just in case. Then i would do a fresh install on the new boot drive, and reconfigure OMV the way I had it before, and I'd have the backup as a reference. If using rsync to backup to a usb drive, do i need to --exclude={"/mnt/*","/media/*"}? any others? /proc? /dev?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So it will run as well as a fresh install?

It will run the same as the system you are cloning. It doesn't do anything to "freshen" it up.

do i need to --exclude={"/mnt/*","/media/*"}? any others? /proc? /dev?

This is what the backup plugin does - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…iavault/mkconf/backup#L26

• It will run the same as the system you are cloning. It doesn't do anything to "freshen" it up.

I thought since I'm installing a new cpu and motherboard, a new install was needed. Maybe that's just a windows thing? If that isn't needed for Linux to detect the hardware it's running on, doing a clone is probably the simplest way to go.

This is what the backup plugin does - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…iavault/mkconf/backup#L26

Oh I wasn't thinking about using a plugin, just doing rsync from a root ssh terminal.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe that's just a windows thing?

Yep.

Oh I wasn't thinking about using a plugin, just doing rsync from a root ssh terminal.

I was showing you the excluded directories. You can either use the same command or use the plugin. The plugin backs up the mbr/grub config though.

• Yep.

I was showing you the excluded directories. You can either use the same command or use the plugin. The plugin backs up the mbr/grub config though.

Thank you. I'm pretty much convinced just doing a clonezilla is the way to go at this point. Will it work if the old drive is 60gb and the new one is 128gb? Do I need to do anything special to expand the filesystems on the new drive?

Also, I don't have a way to clone directly from the old drive to the new one. Can I clone to a usb stick and then from that to the new drive? Will a 4gb usb stick work if there's only 1 gb of data on the boot drive?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will it work if the old drive is 60gb and the new one is 128gb?

Yes.

Do I need to do anything special to expand the filesystems on the new drive?

Boot gparted-live and expand it.

Can I clone to a usb stick and then from that to the new drive? Will a 4gb usb stick work if there's only 1 gb of data on the boot drive?

Clonezilla can write the cloned image to a file that you can then write to the new drive. I would think a 4gb stick would be enough since the clone is compressed.

• Yes.

Boot gparted-live and expand it.

Clonezilla can write the cloned image to a file that you can then write to the new drive. I would think a 4gb stick would be enough since the clone is compressed.

Ok. So my procedure will look like this?
    1. pop out data hd's for safety (they're hot swappable)
    2. select Boot clonezilla
    3. Clone /dev/sda to usb stick
    4. Shut down server and replace hardware (motherboard, cpu, boot drive)
    5. ??
    6. Write cloned image to new boot drive
    7. Boot up OMV off new drive
    8. select to boot gparted-live
    9. reboot
    10. expand fs
    11. re-install hotswap data hd's
    12. done

Not sure on step 5, is the image that clonezilla writes to the thumb drive bootable? Would it boot into omv?

Thanks for your help

• Offizieller Beitrag

Skip 7 and just select gparted-live from the grub menu.

The clonezilla files on the thumb drive will not be bootable. They are just compressed archive files.

• Skip 7 and just select gparted-live from the grub menu.

The clonezilla files on the thumb drive will not be bootable. They are just compressed archive files.

That's what I thought. That's why the ?? on step 5. What do I use to boot then in step 5? At that point the installed system drive will be new with nothing on it. The clonezilla'd usb is not bootable. Do I need to make another bootable usb stick to boot from?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Forgot that. You will need to write clonezilla to a usb stick to be bootable. Can you plug the new OS drive into one of the slots normally used by a data drive?

• Forgot that. You will need to write clonezilla to a usb stick to be bootable. Can you plug the new OS drive into one of the slots normally used by a data drive?

Negative. Existing boot drive is msata SSD. New boot drive is m.2 ssd, so the sockets aren't compatible. Maybe I write clonezilla boot image to a usb stick and boot from that and have the cloned image on a separate usb stick in a separate usb port. Boot with clonezilla and then within that environment write from the image on usb stick to the new ssd? I'm not familiar with the clonezilla environment but I think it should work?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should work. Not sure if you will have problems booting from m2 though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

motherboard documentation says it supports m.2 nvme boot drives. asrock.com/mb/Intel/H270M-ITXac/index.asp#Specification

I didnt say it wouldn't boot from m2 because of the motherboard. It could be because of OMV/Debian and the installation. I haven't tried installing OMV on m.2 so I don't know. It definitely doesn't work with pre-4.x kernels.

I've also been looking at this relax-and-recover.org/documentation/

I tried building it into the backup plugin but had too many issues with it.

• I didnt say it wouldn't boot from m2 because of the motherboard. It could be because of OMV/Debian and the installation. I haven't tried installing OMV on m.2 so I don't know. It definitely doesn't work with pre-4.x kernels.

Good grief. That'll be a kick in the nuts if it doesn't work. I'm not even sure off hand which Kernel I'm running. You're not even talking about nvme vs sata, but the m2 ssd in general, right?

I tried building it into the backup plugin but had too many issues with it.

Any issues running it from the terminal? That's what I was thinking I'd try.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're not even talking about nvme vs sata, but the m2 ssd in general, right?

Nope, just nvme. I have OMV installed on a couple systems with m2 sata.

Any issues running it from the terminal? That's what I was thinking I'd try.

My issues were backing up to local storage. Remote storage worked just fine.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!