Windows permissions - Can't find groups, but can find users

• Hi,

I am using OMV 3.0.58 and have one little problem.
    I created one SMB share for Windows client, where one can use Windows explorer to manage file system permissions. That is working fine with that SMB share settings:

Code
    Inherit ACLs activated
    Inherit permissions activated
    Store DOS attributes activated

And I additionally I added that extra options:

Code
    vfs objects = acl_xattr
    map acl inherit = yes
    hide unreadable = yes
    inherit owner = yes

That works well, the only problem is, that windows explorer permission tool can't find any groups which I created on the OMV.
    No user groups and also no system groups. I also restarted SMB and rebooted OMV + client, but did not help.
    New users can be found immediately after creating and applying settings. Why groups not? Is that a bug or is that normal? Would be nice of groups could also be used for permission settings.
    Do you think i have some wrong settings? But I tried now to create a new SMB share with default configs and have the same problem, groups can't be found ?(

• I don't believe you can change the ACL permissions from a simple samba login, unless the samba server was a domain controller and the login was the domain admin. Might be wrong...maybe @dethegeek can know better

It is working fine. I can add, remove and modify permissions in Windows Explorer and they don't get lost. I connect in Windows as normal user, don't have a domain controller, just a workgroup.

What happens if you try to add a user? do it allow it? if you go terminal does it show the ACL this time?

Yes, I can add a user without problems. The user is found and can be added. That's why I am wondering, why groups are not found.
    Which command do I have to run to show you the requested ACL output?

• The ACL window in OMV shows exactly that what I did set through Windows Explorer and also gets updated, when I change something through Windows Explorer and also vice versa:

Where can I find the folder via SSH?
    I looked in /mnt and it's empty and I can't access /dev/sdb1 cause it's no folder :/

Edit: My windows user which I use to connect to the share is set as the owner of the shared folder. Maybe that's the reason, why I am able to change permissions through Windows Explorer?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could be the ownership. I still don't know how acl works very well. But in basic posix permission you have to be root to change ownership. You can modify permissions if you own the file/folder.
    Mounted disks are located at /media

As for the groups I would ask that question at samba irc channel or mailing list. Could be the id number. Since window is only displaying normal users. Just check what gid the groups have.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!