Problems after updates / upgrades

• Hi,

I have a question. Is there any known problems with OMV and Raspberry PI 3 IMG? I have done updates / upgrades a couple of time. Always I have after that problems. The raspberry PI stops the boot sequence. Now,I have my backup on the SD card installed.

The Versions since 3.5.xx has a lot of problems on my Raspberry PI 3. All previous versions were OK.

Regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am working on a new image but I created it by upgrade the most current image on sourceforge. Never had any booting issues.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

I have a question. Is there any known problems with OMV and Raspberry PI 3 IMG? I have done updates / upgrades a couple of time. Always I have after that problems. The raspberry PI stops the boot sequence. Now,I have my backup on the SD card installed.

I don't know if what you're experiencing is a coincidence, an effect of a bit of age on your R-PI 3, a hot summer?, etc.

However, as an R-PI 3 user, you're going to need this. Heat Sink (It's less than 1 USD with shipping, on the US side of the pond.) The way OMV can drive an R-PI, you'll need it.

I read a side by side review, of the R-PI 2 and 3 where the reviewer had a non-contact thermal imager / thermometer. When driven hard, the R-PI 2 version had no thermal issues but performance is understandably slower. However, with sustained high CPU utilization, the R-PI 3 can reach temps that will lock it up. (This can create intermittent problems without rhyme or reason.) With the heat sink(s), R-PI 3 was fine.

For a buck, it's a good investment. (You can go upscale and get copper heat sinks starting at $1.50)

• Can it be that SD memory is full?

No, I have a 32GB Card inside.

I don't know if what you're experiencing is a coincidence, an effect of a bit of age on your R-PI 3, a hot summer?, etc.
    However, as an R-PI 3 user, you're going to need this. Heat Sink (It's less than 1 USD with shipping, on the US side of the pond.) The way OMV can drive an R-PI 3, you'll need it.

I read a side by side review, of the R-PI 2 and 3 where the reviewer had a non-contact thermal imager / thermometer. When driven hard, the R-PI 2 version had no thermal issues but performance is understandably slower. However, with sustained high CPU utilization, the R-PI 3 can reach temps that will lock it up. (This can create intermittent problems without rhyme or reason.) With the heat sink(s), R-PI 3 was fine.

For a buck, it's a good investment. (You can go upscale and get copper heat sinks starting at $1.50)

Hot summer? No, not realy! In the moment we have only rainy days and temperatures around 20 degrees. I have a heat sink on my RPI 3. My RPI run 12 hours, after that the RPI shut down automatically. After shut down, my timer turns the power off.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, I have a 32GB Card inside.Hot summer? No, not realy! In the moment we have only rainy days and temperatures around 20 degrees. I have a heat sink on my RPI 3. My RPI run 12 hours, after that the RPI shut down automatically. After shut down, my timer turns the power off.

You know, since I use my R-PI2 to backup the shares on my server, I'm doing the same thing you are: Using an AC timer to bring it up once a week, run Rsync jobs and shut down again.

In any case:
    When I read the article on the thermal problems with an R-PI3, one of the first things I thought about would be the potential for intermittent problems and, by extension, the maddening effects on users. If the article is to be believed -> RPI3 Thermal a heat sink for an R-PI3 is NOT an option. (One would think that OEM's would use heat sinks out of the box.)

I'm going to take it that "20 degrees" is in Celsius. If it was 20 degrees Fahrenheit, a heat sink wouldn't be required. :rolleyes:

Since it's pretty clear that you have some other issue going on, sorry for butting in. I'll shut up and mind my own.

(BTW: If you still have an R-PI 2, I'd try running the image you have on it to see what happens.)

• If the article is to be believed -> RPI3 Thermal a heat sink for an R-PI3 is NOT an option

You don't need a heatsink for an RPi 3 that should run OMV. Firmware (the main OS running on the VideoCore IV) is a lot better in the meantime and simply throttles when SoC temperature exceeds 85°C. Since all Raspberries are so unbelievably slow with NAS use cases this is exactly no problem. Adding a heatsink is of course always a great idea since it reduces the temperatures which will help with both consumption and longevity.

You can use my script here to check thermal/underpowering problems: https://github.com/bamarni/pi6…/4#issuecomment-292707581

@kenny_g it seems there are problems with most recent official OMV image for Raspberries (some dependency BS due to relying on Raspbian instead of a clean Debian): Fresh RPI3 image + update => error upgrading openmediavault then unusable

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't need a heatsink for an RPi 3 that should run OMV. Firmware (the main OS running on the VideoCore IV) is a lot better in the meantime and simply throttles when SoC temperature exceeds 85°C. Since all Raspberries are so unbelievably slow with NAS use cases this is exactly no problem.

Well, when Rsync'ing network shares on my PI2, I see CPU utilization in the 70% to 100% range for extended periods. It's not a stretch to believe an R-PI3 would do the same and run a bit on the hot side. Further, any upgrade for $1USD is hard to reject out of hand.

In any case, by my own admission, it was a shot in the dark.

• Well, when Rsync'ing network shares on my PI2, I see CPU utilization in the 70% to 100% range for extended periods

These Raspberries implement throttling, there's nothing to fear. And as already said there's nothing wrong with adding a heatsink even if it's not needed with OMV.

It's also easy to check what happens by doing something like this (requires using most recent OMV for RPi images:(

On my RPi 3 I had to mount a heatsink to properly test through some more CPU intensive stuff: https://forum.armbian.com/inde…nperformance-comparisons/

But a heatsink is definitely not needed and temperatures are not the root cause of update/upgrade hassles (more likely: SD card crappiness)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!