SMB performance VS FTP

• Hello,
    I worry a flow between my PC and my server, I am max 60 MB / s (SMB) whereas with FTP I am 100 MB / s.

The server config: Intel E8400 3 GHz, 4 GB DDR 3 * 1TB 7200 RPM WD Blak raid 5 gigabit network .

Or is the problem?

thank you

• Hello,

No change, even after you have changed the configuration at block raid, why such a difference in performance between the SMB and FTP protocol.
    What to do to have proper performance often SMB.

thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

What os and processor in the PC? smb does have more overhead than ftp but I wouldn't think it would be that much.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your server and PC should easily be able to max out a gigabit network connection. Maybe anti-virus is realtime scanning the files when transferred over smb?? If the ftp speed is being incorrectly reported by the ftp client, your switch might be the problem. Do you have the server running other plugins/programs?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hello,

By disabling anti-virus, it does not change the rate remains 60 MB / s max, eb making a flow test of the hard drives on the server, I'm at 200 MB / s.
    So the problem seems to Samba?

root@Serveur:/media/2700ea89-1bb1-4423-b7cb-c147f5426aa1# time sh -c "dd if=/dev/zero of=ddfile bs=8k count=750000 && sync"
    750000+0 enregistrements lus
    750000+0 enregistrements écrits
    6144000000 octets (6,1 GB) copiés, 30,5941 s, 201 MB/s

real 0m31.381s
    user 0m0.128s
    sys 0m8.137s
    cd ..

• Offizieller Beitrag

It definitely seems to be related to samba but I don't know why. I can easily max out my gigabit connection over samba with a Q6600 system. Never used ftp. Maybe there is something in the logs? Do you have any special configurations with samba?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!