Is RAID5 really that bad?

• I already patched it through to the developer forums, ryecoaaron takes a look at how it would be. We definitly need more input from different raid card users on how to access the data on diffrent raid cards, I can only supply the commands neccessary for mine. (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/u…-check-hard-disk-command/)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Megacli is very powerful and very destructive, its not to be used unless you know what your doing. Hence a plugin with read only commands would be nice.

• I added it to the thread in the developers forum so it is all in one place. However it may be difficult to add it for cards where we (or in this case ryecoaaron) can't debug any information.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• As long as it's only read commands that are implemented I am willing to help out in any debug that is needed. Megacli needs to be included because it's a major one that supports tons of LSI raid cards. I don't want any destructive commands to be in the plugin as we don't need them. LSI has webbios so anything destructive can be done there.

• From my mind it should be only used to gather smart data, maybe with deeper OMV integration to enable mail notifications when a drive fails or is dieing.

Edit: Do you know which cards are supported by MegaCLI?

Greetings
    David

• I agree 100% on that. Email notifications would even be better. I did not think of that. All I really want is the smart data so I can keep on eye on the drives if one is acting up pull it out rebuild with spare and then use the new spinrite to analyze/fix the drive or send back for replacement. That is when Steve Gibson releases the new spinrite. From what I read its going to be sweet. No more bios needed and it reads/writes at hardware disk level. It does 1 terabyte in 90 minutes.

• Did you saw my edit above? Also is MegaCLI available in any package repository?

Greetings
    David

• That would be good for the plugin distribution if its available in a repo or allowed to redistribute with own packages.

Also, do you know which controllers are supported? Is there a list?

Greetings
    David

• There are 2 cli programs megasas is the old one and megacli is the new one.

Here is the list

LSI Corp. MegaRAID Version 8.02.16 MegaCLI Release

Release Date: 06/18/12
    ========================

Supported Controllers
    ==================

MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i
    MegaRAID SAS 9285-8e
    MegaRAID SAS 9285CV-8e
    MegaRAID SAS 9266-4i
    MegaRAID SAS 9266-8i
    MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i
    MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i
    MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i
    MegaRAID SAS 9260CV-4i
    MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i
    MegaRAID SAS 9260CV-8i
    MegaRAID SAS 9260DE-8i
    MegaRAID SAS 9261-8i
    MegaRAID SAS 9280-4i4e
    MegaRAID SAS 9280-8e
    MegaRAID SAS 9280DE-8e
    MegaRAID SAS 9280-24i4e
    MegaRAID SAS 9280-16i4e
    MegaRAID SAS 9260-16i
    MegaRAID SAS 8704ELP
    MegaRAID SAS 8704EM2
    MegaRAID SAS 8708ELP
    MegaRAID SAS 8708EM2
    MegaRAID SAS 8880EM2
    MegaRAID SAS 8888ELP
    MegaRAID SAS 8308ELP*
    MegaRAID SAS 8344ELP*
    MegaRAID SAS 84016E*
    MegaRAID SAS 8408E*
    MegaRAID SAS 8480E*
    MegaRAID SATA 300-8ELP*

*These older controllers should work but have not been tested.

Component:
    =========
    SAS MegaRAID MegaCLI
    Release Date: 06/18/12

Version Numbers: MegaCLI
    =============== ===========
    Current Version 8.04.07
    Previous Version 8.02.21

• Offizieller Beitrag

The installation of the plugin could download megacli if it is available on the web site.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• So my controller series isn't supported by it.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

An rpm file inside a zip file inside a zip file... Nice...

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Fileception!

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!