How to persist promiscuous mode ?

• Hi,

I'm playing with docker on a fresh OMV 4 installation and I need to set my network card's promiscuous mode for the macvlan system.

I can check the mode with

Bash
    ip -d link show interface_name

I can enable promiscuous mode with

Bash
    ip link set interface_name promisc on

However, when I reboot, promiscuous mode is no longer enabled. How can I persist this setting ?

Thx

• Offizieller Beitrag

Take look here how to issue commands for network related stuff

https://manpages.debian.org/je…s.5.en.html#IFACE_OPTIONS

also that you cannot do in the webui, so you need to setup your interface file manually using the

/etc/network/interfaces/interfaces.d directory as it says here to it gets added to /etc/network/interfaces file to avoid conflicting with any other omv interface you're configuring via the webpanel. The official documentation at the moment is wrong for current omv4 and needs to be changed

• Thanks for the answer, but I can't figure how to do it.
    If I edit the /etc/network/interfaces file to add this line (up /sbin/ip link set enp0s3 promisc on), the promiscuous mode is enabled after a reboot.

As you're not supposed to manually edit this file, I tried to create a /etc/network/interfaces.d/promiscuous file and put the same line in it, but it doesn't enable promiscuous mode after a reboot.

/etc/network/interfaces :

/etc/network/interfaces.d/promiscuous :

Code
    up /sbin/ip link set enp0s3 promisc on
  • Nevermind, what I tried below doesn't work
    I found a way to make it work, though I'm not sure that's the better way to do it :
    Keep the /etc/network/interfaces file as-is.
    Create a /etc/network/interfaces.d/promiscuous (or whatever name suits you) and write inside :

Code
    iface enp0s3
    up /sbin/ip link set enp0s3 promisc on

After a reboot, promiscuous mode is on.
    Replace enp0s3 with your interface name.

• promiscuous mod cam help me if i want host can connect to guest VM/LXC?

OMV 6.
    Motherboard: Intel DP55WG
    CPU: Intel Xeon X3470
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    WD Black WD5000LPSX - system
    WD Blue 4GB x4 - RAID 10
    500GB SSD x2 - RAID 1 for VM's and Docker containers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!