Setup Helios 4

• Hello,

I received my helios4, and put 2 8GB WD Red in there. Raid using MDADM was easy.

There are two questions I have.

This is my first SBC NAS, I have set up a lot of machines in all different OS's, and had a synology before which I played with a lot. it drove me crazy because they restrict everything and have a custom OS with lots missing.

Q1 - Why would you run your OS on an SD card, why not a HDD? It seems that HDD would be far more reliable (I am not super concerned about speed, but this could also be something to consider). There seems to be very little information about this on the internet. Am I missing something?
    Can I install it on the raid array? - but what happens if a disk dies - is the whole thing stuffed? I also have a few old 3.5 inch disks I could use, or a few old 2.5 inch laptop hdd to use, and an old 2.5 inch 512GB Samsung SSD. The downside of this is that it will use another SATA, but I cant see myself using that any time soon. Can it boot from a sata port anyway? What is the best practice / advice here?

Q2 - OMV seems like an OS, and an app that runs on debian - would you recommend installing stretch first then OMV - what is best practice here? The helios Wiki says do stretch then OMV. Also, I like living on the edge should I go for OMV 5 or just stick with 4 and do 5 in a year or whatever.

Cheers
    Scott

• Raid using MDADM was easy

And worst way to waste a disk for redundancy at the same time :(

Use the Armbian Stretch variant and install OMV using armbian-config. This will set up everything needed on an ARM SBC (flashmemory plugin included), then your OS runs from SD card, writes will be limited to a minimum and you can do offline cloning to a 2nd SD card from time to time or prior to major updates. Take care to choose only good SD cards from reputable sources (no eBay, no Aliexpress -- counterfeit crap is there more rule than exception).

Running the OS from SD cards allows your HDDs to enter sleep.

• Thanks for the help, will proceed with the stretch and OMV as you suggested.

- your comments about waste a disk for redundancy - could you elaborate, how would you set this up? No raid? a different tool? The idea was obviously if something stuffs up there is a copy.

• No raid?

At least never the raid1 mdraid variant since close to useless: Home NAS build, FS info

On an ARM device with recent kernel and if 'redundancy' is wanted I would always choose a btrfs raid-1 (works completely different compared to mdraid's raid1 and can be used with as much disks as possible in the Helios4). But you need to get a bit familiar with btrfs since OMV's own support is not ready yet for all the nice advanced stuff and the potential downsides.

But... RAID is not backup and you need the latter if you love your data. Can be done with btrfs as well by a combination of snapshots and sending them to other disks or even locations (that's the way I prefer: my backup data resides at least in another room than the productive data) and is not even hard to implement by something called btrbk.

The traditional/old way is to use stuff like rsync/rsnapshot. Fine as well but resulting in more disk stress and less protection (bit rot).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since it just occurred: RAID is not backup. If you need data availability then RAID is for you. If you love your data you need data integrity and data protection.

I hate when there's glaring examples that RAID is not a backup, but hope others learn from them (unfortunately, they rarely do)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Q1 - Why would you run your OS on an SD card, why not a HDD? It seems that HDD would be far more reliable (I am not super concerned about speed, but this could also be something to consider). There seems to be very little information about this on the internet. Am I missing something?
    Can I install it on the raid array? - but what happens if a disk dies - is the whole thing stuffed? I also have a few old 3.5 inch disks I could use, or a few old 2.5 inch laptop hdd to use, and an old 2.5 inch 512GB Samsung SSD. The downside of this is that it will use another SATA, but I cant see myself using that any time soon. Can it boot from a sata port anyway? What is the best practice / advice here?

Q2 - OMV seems like an OS, and an app that runs on debian - would you recommend installing stretch first then OMV - what is best practice here? The helios Wiki says do stretch then OMV. Also, I like living on the edge should I go for OMV 5 or just stick with 4 and do 5 in a year or whatever.

Beyond the image to use for installing OMV on your Helios:

Some of the answers to your questions can be found ->here, along with some of the processes for first time setup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!