Openmediavault usb install headaches

• Hi all,

It's no wonder people hate linux. Anyway I'm a unix admin and this OMV is a pain.

1. USB boot hung at ISOLINUX. Found out OMV has a serial console default setting. Had to remove it and remove serial port in bios.
    2. No keyboard after boot. Lost all usb devices after I hit 'Install'. Had to fiddle with usb legacy in bios and change usb ports.
    3. Ran installer with 1 hard drive. It somehow only wanted to install on the usb and complained there isn't enough space. I didn't even get the window to select which hard drive I wanted it on. I changed console and fdisk shows the drive. Who knows...

What's going on with this release? I ran omv 0.3 without issue and this is a buggy mess.

Can anyone help me pick the hard drives? I had it on AHCI and changed it to legacy IDE. Still nothing.

Thanks in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. The serial console was meant to help some but hurts other. Lose-lose situation.
    2. What motherboard are you using? i've never had this problem or even heard someone complain about it.
    3. The drive isn't empty (no partitions). I would definitely recommend AHCI. With OMV, you are supposed to install with only one drive. It will show the drive select window if you have more than one empty drive.

Buggy mess??? These were decisions not bugs. It works great for most. If the drive shows up in fdisk, then go to the second console and dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=100 will blank it (as you probably know). If it doesn't show in the installer, reboot and it should.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "mrmustard"

Hi all,

It's no wonder people hate linux. Anyway I'm a unix admin and this OMV is a pain.

1. USB boot hung at ISOLINUX. Found out OMV has a serial console default setting. Had to remove it and remove serial port in bios.

You should've to just deactivate the serial console in the bios.

Zitat von "mrmustard"

2. No keyboard after boot. Lost all usb devices after I hit 'Install'. Had to fiddle with usb legacy in bios and change usb ports.

Never heard of that error before. Maybe its mainboard specific or so...

Zitat von "mrmustard"

3. Ran installer with 1 hard drive. It somehow only wanted to install on the usb and complained there isn't enough space. I didn't even get the window to select which hard drive I wanted it on. I changed console and fdisk shows the drive. Who knows...

Allways install with only one disk attached like you tried. Please check if the drive you wanted to install on was detected correctly in the bios. I doubt it a bit, because you already had trouble with your keyboard.

Zitat von "mrmustard"

What's going on with this release? I ran omv 0.3 without issue and this is a buggy mess.

Can anyone help me pick the hard drives? I had it on AHCI and changed it to legacy IDE. Still nothing.

Thanks in advance

The 0.3 iso used a different installer, so that one had no trouble with the serial port. As I said, please check the BIOS/POST screen if your drive gets detected.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I'm curious if it was a calculated decision to make it all automatic with no custom or export mode. It seems like all the ducks have to be in a row or it bombs.

Sorry for the buggy comment. I'm just frustrated that the easiest part of this new nas build has been the most frustrating. Especially when my first OMV was a breeze...

• Of course it was a calculated decision. Thats because Volker wants to keep the installation as simple as possible for newbies. Maybe we can encourage him for 0.6 to at least introduce an option for a custom, or expert like option in the installation.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I'm guessing it will be better for 0.6. The installer for Wheezy is improved a lot. You can even choose grub install location ;)

• Just made an account to say this. I currently have a freenas server which runs smooth and worked right out of the box. I've also had an itch to try out OMV being that I saw good reviews on forums/reddit etc. My experience with it so far was not nearly as smooth as with freenas.

Here are the things i encountered: stuck boot - syslinux serial port disable (OK), choose installation drive - remove all drives (OK no biggie), enable samba public share for guest (NOPE), enable SSHd (NOPE). I tried to troubleshoot and enable PHP and OMV logging, still no errors reporting in the logs. I try to start SSHd manually "/usr/sbin/sshd -D", it works but not through OMV - no green light in the services. I even spent 30 min trying to see the green light on the smb service and getting it to appear on the network, it appeared in the end but couldnt enable guest shares. Out of the box it just wasn't as smooth as freenas, maybe it needs to be tested from scratch in a lab environment with various other desktops and samba servers. Maybe because it's < v1 so it was meant to have kinks worked out by the end user and then it would be smooth sailing from there. In the end of a few hours of tinkering I found OMV fall short of my dependable push button freenas box.That being said i'm waiting to see the future releases of OMV because it looks polished, the UI is smooth and responsive, and the raid setup was straight forward and self explanatory.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have yet to find hardware that freenas works better than OMV on. I have installed OMV hundreds of times on virtual machines and real hardware (at least 20 different systems).

I have had to disable the serial port. You are much better off to unplug the data drives installing any operating system if there is existing data. I have never had ssh not start unless a network adapter wasn't detected (haswell board only). I have public samba shares accessible by guests on most of my OMV boxes. The problems you are reporting are very rare on the forums.

I think most problems people encounter are from wrong settings especially if it is different from their previous server (freenas, windows, commercial NASes,etc ). OMV is very flexible which allows settings to wrong from time to time. I usually recommend trying it in a VM first. We are working on a demo that people can test if they don't know how to create a virtual machine.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Why don't you ask a few questions on forums? Disabling the serial port issue should be gone in the new version, out in couple months. You enable ssh in the web-gui of omv. Maybe give some screenshots on how you tried to setup your public folder share so we can tell you where you made mistakes. Here is a screenshot where to enable ssh. It's that ez. I really don't worry about your post. Debian, linux, is better platform for a NAS. You'll be back.

• Zitat von "swizzle1199"

[...]
    enable samba public share for guest (NOPE)

Where is you problem with that? Create a samba share and set the public checkmark. Ensure the folder you created before is writeabled by all users.

Zitat von "swizzle1199"

enable SSHd (NOPE).

I don't even see where this could be of any trouble. Activate it, done. Login only via root or users which you put into the ssh group.

Zitat von "swizzle1199"

I tried to troubleshoot and enable PHP and OMV logging, still no errors reporting in the logs.

You should've come to the forums in the first place and asking for help.

Zitat von "swizzle1199"

I try to start SSHd manually "/usr/sbin/sshd -D", it works but not through OMV - no green light in the services. I even spent 30 min trying to see the green light on the smb service and getting it to appear on the network, it appeared in the end but couldnt enable guest shares.

It seems for me that something was wrong with your installation or you system was slow or something else which was causing to act OpenMediaVault weird. Also it is suggested to start services under debian with "/etc/init.d/server start" or, because that is depracated as of wheezy use "service nameofservice start". The lamp that shows if a service is active relies on the fact that a pid file is created from the service on a specific location. I don't know if the way you started it in the end creates that pid at all or in another location.

Zitat von "swizzle1199"

Out of the box it just wasn't as smooth as freenas

Nothing to say against this, but OMV is too really user friendly. But do we want to get into the cons that freenas has? I don't think so.

Zitat von "swizzle1199"

maybe it needs to be tested from scratch in a lab environment with various other desktops and samba servers. Maybe because it's < v1 so it was meant to have kinks worked out by the end user and then it would be smooth sailing from there.

No kinks should be worked out by the end user, but, even with a little tiny problem, come to the forums and ask for help. Thats how it is supposed to work, and how do it just makes me feel sad. You tested it and it wasn't working for you the way it should be, I'm sorry for that, but instead of asking for help you create a post that you now use something different and that these things didn't work. Not cool at all.

Zitat von "swizzle1199"

In the end of a few hours of tinkering I found OMV fall short of my dependable push button freenas box.

Thousands of Users already beg to differ about that kind of decision. OMV has a small User basis compared to freenas but its growing and we expect to have another big push when the next major version comes out which then is based upon debian wheezy.

Zitat von "swizzle1199"

That being said i'm waiting to see the future releases of OMV because it looks polished, the UI is smooth and responsive, and the raid setup was straight forward and self explanatory.

Thank you for that words. The next major version is expected in the near future. I'd like to invite you to at least try it out again when its released.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!