debian 7.2.0 64 bit host os
    running vmware 10.01 for linux 64
    with latest version omv 0.5.23 amd64 in vm as virtual guest

first problem i had was mounting my 3tb storage as a user in vm
    i had to run as root to be able to mount hdd to vm
    so i su'ed the from commend line ran /usr/bin/vmware
    then it would let me mount hdd thought great sorted
    i then went on to set up omv
    omv see's the hdd fine ended up using xfs file system (following a tuto)
    at this stage great eveything running as it should tested it from tv and a windows machine
    so i then went on to tranfered about 300gb of movies music pics etc over to the storage hdd
    eveything was working as it should very happy
    but then i rebooted the host machine
    went to start omv and get this message:-
    You are using a SCSI physical disk. SCSI physical disk dual-boot performance is poor. The installed operating system might not boot correctly in the VM. However, SCSI physical disks operate normally if used exclusively within the VM.
    i did set omv up as scsi as it recommended but its an actual sata
    then after omv booted now i have no dlna ... well access denided
    so looking at omv webif seems the filesystem for the storage has changed, now i have /dev/sdb1 now is ext 4 and the xfs filesystem is partly missing its there but has no device name lable and status says missing??
    i really really dont want to lose my 300gb data thats on that hdd please please help
    thanks in advance
    foz

• You should be iin the web-gui to mount any storage. If the storage device is not visible you need to make it so. Mounting a device outside the web-gui will not properly setup the config.xml so OMV will be able to use the device properly.

It is not clear from above how you have your machines (wheezy, OMV, vmware). Please clarify.

• hi tekkbebe
    thanks for your reply
    first i used gparted and formatted the 3tb to ext4 with gpt table
    to clarify i have debian 7 wheezy as main os (as the host)
    with vm-workstation installed on that
    with omv running in vmware
    before i started with any mounting of this second hdd i noticed omv did not see the hdd in the physical hdd section
    so from that i was under the impression i had to first mount the second hdd (storage) in my debian os
    so i mounted it /media/storage
    then i tried to mount it in omv but omv still did not see the physical hdd
    so then i thought i must need to mount the hdd in vmware which i did (this is where it required root permissions to mount it)
    then omv see's the hdd :D great i thought
    so omv i then deleted the ext4 partition in filesytem, i then added the xfs file system as per tuto
    everything was working fine at this point :D
    tranfered files over checked from a few devices everything was working
    until i rebooted
    so what is the correct mounting setup for a linux host running vmware with omv as a guest os in vm? are you saying omv should have seen the second hdd in webgui at the begining?
    thanks foz
    i will add it to my debian 7 wheezy when omv 6 is released if its all compatable

• thanks for reply
    omv web-gui did not see the physical 3tb hdd ? that was the problem originally?
    thats why i started mounting it on debian first then vmware then omv?
    thanks
    foz
    added
    please can you confirm that no mount in debian host or vm is required before i unmount
    is there any way to mount hdd in omv and keep files now on this storage hdd? but i suspect it will depend on what it see as a file system? ext4 or xfs?
    thanks

• ok i've deleted the mount in vmware, i've deleted the mount in debian host
    back to square 1 omv does not seem to see the second hdd?
    pressed scan in physical disks only sees the 1 hdd that the os is installed on 20gb
    this was the problem i had to start with where am i going wrong?
    is this because its a 3tb? and omv does not see / support it?
    thanks

• Does your CPU support vt-d?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• thanks for your reply
    no it supports vt-x not vt-d?
    is this the problem?
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6700 (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)

• I don't know, I can't even passthrough a real harddisk under windows (alltough it is possible) to vbox and even under linux it's rather complicated... Maybe Ryecoaaron can answer on this one as I know that he uses a similar setup with vbox I think.

Can your Win7VM see the hard disk?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't use physical disks in virtualbox or proxmox (kvm - use virtio). I do know that when you mount the drive in the host, that is like using the drive for both host and guest which is bad.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• thanks david
    hmmm no... i think you may be right here..
    in windows computer mangement / disk management it does not see the hdd either
    but bear in mind it is not mounted to the (host) debian7 at the moment either ?
    would it not need to be mounted to the host for a machine in vm to use it?
    the link you provided is for workstation 5.0 i am using 10.01 but i will look into this now
    thanks again
    foz
    added i see ryecoaaron, ok thanks just thought it would need to be mounted but that clears that up i am wrong

• thanks tekkbebe
    i am still learning
    how would you set my machine up please?
    i have 2 hdd 1 x 200gb for the os in vm etc
    then 3 tb for a storage hdd
    thanks guys for all your help so far
    foz

• There should be a Virtual Disk manager. You want to get your physical disk to show in that and then create virtual disks. I'm not familiar with Workstation. I used ESXi mostly but I switched to Vbox a while ago, because I could do things that were limited in ESXi. I would recommend using Virtualbox. Your virtual machines folder could be on the 3tb drive and use space from that drive to create vms and vdisks. You would just mount the 3tb on the wheezy host. I think if you used Vbox it would be better once you got OMV working on the host too. There is a plugin for virtualbox and you would be familiar with it by time you are able to use plugin.

• ok
    it would appear to me, trying to add a virtual disk just seems to want to add it to the 200gb hdd (with the os and vm ware on) not the 3tb hdd in edit virtual machine settings
    but if i set it up as SCSI physical disk omv does now seem to see it :D but i now get this message:-
    You are using a SCSI physical disk. SCSI physical disk dual-boot performance is poor. The installed operating system might not boot correctly in the VM. However, SCSI physical disks operate normally if used exclusively within the VM.
    i am going to try and add it as a virtual disk now but i am pretty sure it will use the 200gb hdd not the 3rb now

• lol Had enough ...
    installing it all on the 3tb hdd so i can run the virtual disk how it wants etc
    not such a big job at this stage
    also found 6 bad sectors on the 200gb hdd :o
    so..
    thanks for all your help
    foz

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!