Lost all data using AUFS

• Hi gang, I tried adding a third 500 gig hard drive to my openmediavault server which already had 2 500 gigs hard drive which I was using AUFS to attach the 2 drives to make it 1 TB. But when I just added the other hard drive, all my data from the other 2 drives disappeared but the data is still there since both drive report of one being used at 99% and the other being used at 61%.

The funny thing is I just added the drive to my server, didn't add it to the AUFS pool and all the data disappeared.

Is there a way to recover the data?

Also, why did this happen?

Any help would be great.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you delete the pool or add to it, it shouldn't delete any data. Permissions might have changed or something might not be mounted but data should still be there. What is the output of:

cat /etc/fstab
    mount

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'll send that to you tonight.

I tried to remounted both drive, I redid the pool, to no success. I just couldn't see the data.

I was able to copy stuff back to the drives which it displayed it was there, but it also showed that the drives still had my data from previous since it showed that my Disk1 was at 99% full.

After I send you the stab info, I'll just rebuild my server to include all 3 drives. Should I still use AUFS to spread my data across all 3 drives?

Thanks again ryecoaaron.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would still use aufs. You shouldn't need to rebuild the server. Just may need to adjust something in the aufs setup.

Data is stored on the drives the same as an individual formatted drive. All aufs does is pool the drives into one share and decide which drive to write to when writing to the pool. If you remove the pool, it just umounts the pool directory and removes that directory that aufs links the branches to (using rmdir not rm -r so it could never remove data).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Finally had some time to look into why my data disappeared.

Here is the result from cat /etc/fstab:

Result from mount:

Code
    /dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
    rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

Let me know if mor einfo is required.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't have an aufs pool. Delete the pool in the plugin and maybe even the shared folder. Recreate them and see if it works.

• Hi ryecoaaron, I tried to reapply the AUFS pool and it just didn't want to work.

So I went ahead and redid the whole server. What a difference it made, it took me less then 2 hours to get the server back to how it was setup. Now the copying of the data from my USB backup to my 2 drive is another topic of discussion since I created an rsync job which grabs the files off my USB backup and copies them in the aufs pool folders.

I will see tonight how fast it did it.

Would you have another suggestion on how I could do this, copy my files from my USB backup drive to the server?
    And, when all my files are back on the server, how should I go about creating daily backup to my USB drive for videos, photos and documents? What tool should I use? rsync, snapraid, rsnapshot???

Thanks again for your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Glad it is working. Not sure why creating a new pool didn't work.

For a usb drive that is not plugged into the server all the time, I would use the usb backup plugin. If it is plugged into the server all of the time, I would use an rsync or rsnapshot job.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!