Plex -Work around - too many movies

• Hi everyone,
    I have about 972 movies in my "Movies" folder. For our main TV, this isn't a problem. However, for my Mother-In-Law's Sony TV in the basement, (yes, she is our Cellar Dweller! :D ) it is too many. When she tries to access the Movies folder in Plex, the TV times out and says that the Server Cannot Be Accessed. However, if she goes to the option to view by First Letter, or Year, etc, the TV shows them. I was wondering, if there was a work around? I really don't want to break up the folder on the RAID into A-M, N-Z, etc, but I didn't know if there was another way to do it.
    Thanks,
    Ted

OMV 4.1.0-1 Arrakis running on:
    IBM System x3400 server
    Dual Xeon 5110 1.6Ghz CPUs
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• I have this problem with an older Samsung TV also. My main TV, also Samsung Smart TV, works well. The only way I´ve found yet:
    Do it via MiniDLNA.
    This works also flawlessly with older TVs. Sure, you have no Metadata etc. But simply play movies works.

• The problem is that Sony TVs are picky and I haven't been able to get it to work with miniDNLA.

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• If you don't want to split them into a-m/n-z, symlink them into those folders. (I have them seprated to even more seperations, but have a folder where all are symlinked together).

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

I use WD TV Lives on older TVs.

Zitat von "WastlJ"

Yep, a little Mediaplayer would solve that problem.

Thanks Tekkbebe & WastlJ. The problem is that the TV in question, is used by my 65 year old MIL, that is a self professed tech hater, and is still in awe that I have this whole On Demand system working. Trying to throw more tech on the front end will cause PEBCAK type errors, which is why I would like to handle it on the back end.

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

If you don't want to split them into a-m/n-z, symlink them into those folders. (I have them seprated to even more seperations, but have a folder where all are symlinked together).

Greetings
    David

Thanks Dave, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Any tips on how to do this as I start my Google quest on symlink & linux?
    :)

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Zitat von "IamTed"

Thanks Dave, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Any tips on how to do this as I start my Google quest on symlink & linux?
    :)

SnapRaid does this. Although the synm-link "pool" feature is secondary to the basic purpose of snap raid.

But basically you specify the directories you are tracking (ie, Movies A-M, Movies N-Z) and then specify a pooling directory (ie, /media/Movies). Then schedule the command "snapraid pool" as a cron job every 60 minutes and it'll automatically update the symlinks in your pool directory.

There might be other ways of doing this, but that's one that immediately comes to mind.

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

If you don't want to split them into a-m/n-z, symlink them into those folders. (I have them separated to even more separations, but have a folder where all are symlinked together).

Greetings
    David

Hi David,
    I've been Googling this all afternoon and I am no closer to figuring it out.
    I have figured out, is how to symlink them together so that it would look like sub-directories under the one folder, but that won't get me any closer. One thing that just dawned on me David, if I "symlink them into those folders", that would require an individual symlink for each movie title directory, would it not? If so, see that I've got about 1200 movies, I shutter at thinking of creating all of those symlinks..... Is there a way to do it in an automated fashion?

If I did go the root of splitting up the folders, like you say, and doing another folder with the symlinks in it, in that folder, if you did a LS, wouldn't it just look like a folder that had sub-directories in it? (Which are actually they symlinks.)

This is my current hierarchy:

This is what I expect it would be if I split up the storage directories:

In the second case, I can see that in Plex, I would just point to the A-H, I-R and S-Z folders and it would look like one folder under Plex, but I am looking for it to look like one folder for my Windows Clients as well. On the kid's laptops, they are using VLC Player and accessing the SMB shares of the media folder on the OMV box. For some reason, they don't want to switch to the Plex client. Also, my wife and kids use Air Video as a backup to Plex on their IOS devices. (Sometimes Plex has had some hiccups or they don't want to wait for me to move a TV episode to it's proper folder on OMV and for Plex to index it. They want to watch it right then and there. I also have the "Catch" folder for my Bit Torrent client setup on Air Video, so they can watch from there. That is also handy for the one off shows that I pluck from the RSS feeds and am not going to keep after watching once.)

In my case, to keep the WAF at good levels, I have to keep the MIL & offspring happy too. (For those who haven't run across it, WAF-Wife Acceptance Factor)
    :D

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Be really carefull that you don't mistake the rm -R path! Uncomment it for security issues, but it will then create many error messages that links already exist when you want to rebuild the symlinks to add newer files!

linkseries.sh

linkmovies.sh

Do you need explanation?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hi David,
    Sorry, things fell off the rails here. My wife has been fighting low blood pressure and that has taken the forefront.
    I understand it in a rough principal, but I think and explanation would be best.
    Thanks,
    Ted

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Added some comments above. I hope that helps.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!