Glacially slow uploads but normal downloads 54L Microserver

• Hey Guys

I've just installed a fresh copy of OMV 0.5 today and I've run into an issue. Basically I can only upload files to the server at around 3-5MB/s which seems a bit weak especially as I am running a Gigabit wired network. The computers hardware is as follows:

Server Hardware
    HP N54L microserver
    4 GB of RAM
    4x 2TB HDD
    Drives are setup into a pool using Greyhole
    During Transfer it reports 50% CPU and 7% RAM usage so I don't think I'm maxing out my hardware

PC Hardware
    Windows 7 64 bit
    2x 1TB HDD
    120GB SSD
    i5 Processor
    4GB RAM

I also got a small transfer program to check to make sure it wasn't a problem due to many small files. It transfers a 200MB file from between my computer and the exact same location as I am tying to transfer all my files. I got an upload speed of 60Mbps (7.5MB/s) and a download speed of 800Mbps (100MB/s). I can't work out why my upload speed is so very poor. Worth noting is that none of the files I am currently transferring are asking greyhole to create duplicates.

Anyone know what may be causing such poor performance?

Thanks

• If just your upload speed to your NAS is poor, it means the writing speed is slow.

You can test the speed of your data disk/raid with the following command (be carefull with it)

Code
    cd /media/UUID
    dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=1MB count=1024
    rm tempfile

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Well the plot thickens.... Right off the bat it doesnt appear appear to be due to slow HDD write speeds. I tested all 4 drives as suggested and they performed admirably, at 100x what I was getting with transmission.

1 1024000000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 3.32159 s, 308 MB/s
    2 1024000000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 3.08372 s, 332 MB/s
    3 1024000000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 3.10711 s, 330 MB/s
    4 1024000000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 3.04858 s, 336 MB/s

I read somewhere that it may be software related so I got Teracopy (a desperate man will try anything) and it did appear to have some kind of affect.
    Result : 1.15GB upload at ~7.5 MB/s download at 45MB/s

Thinking it may be the cables, I swapped them out for new 0.5m CAT6, no change to performance

So my last ditch attempt was to tinker in the bios. I turned on disk write caching

Result: 1.15GB upload at ~70 MB/s download at 45MB/s

Thought I would post up the solution here for anyone else who runs into this issue. Not putting up the solution when they figure it out being my greatest forum pet peeve.

Thanks guys.

• As you mentioned in your first post, you got about 100 MB/s download speed. Now you only have 45 MB/s?
    Actually you should get about 100 MB/s read and write. Maybe a bit slower cause of greyhole and no RAID. Just sayin ;)

I have a N40L. But i dunno if i have activated the write cache in my bios. But I get also about 100 and even 110 MB/s read and write.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!