File Explorer, SSH from Webmin etc....

• If you are accessing your OMV server with webmin you will need a java client for the File Explorer.
    1) on windows machines go to java.com and install it.

2) to install webmin
    start a root ssh session with Putty to your server and login

3) go to an area to download a file. I usually go to :
    cd /home

4) then get webmin

Code
    wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.590_all.deb

5) install webmin
    dpkg --install webmin_1.590_all.deb

6) some dependencies likely did not install so run this:
    apt-get -f install

7) login to webmin
    https://ipofyoursever:10000 (ip of your server example 192.168.1.123)
    at first you login as root with root pass but i'll show you how to setup so using same admin user as Open Media Vault

8) now you can use the File Explorer in Webmin

On Left column click on "Others" then click on "File Manager"

9) SSH in Webmin we need to install a SSH2 client.

In Webmin click on "Webmin" on the left then click on "Webmin Configuration".
    Then on right you need to click on "Webmin Modules".
    Then in "Install" tab you want to put a bullet in "Third Party module from"
    Then on the right side click on the grey box to pull up 3rd party modules.
    Scroll down to "SSH2 login" and click on it to select it then click on "install module"
    Once install we can now start a SSH session without putty.
    In Webmin on left click on "Others" then "SSH2 login"

10) to add the "admin" user as a webmin user in Webmin so you can use same codes to login in webmin as Open Media Vault

in webmin click on upper left click on "Webmin" then click on "Webmin Users"
    on right click on "Create a new Webmin user" then in Username put in "admin" then on Password drop down the box and
    select "Unix Authentication" then below click on create.
    Now you can log into webmin using "admin" as user.

11) to remove old SSH client login from menu that no longer works with debian do the following:

• Ok, this step is basicallly showing you how to remove a module from a Webmin user's view. The SSH client is outdated and no longer works.
    That is why we installed the SSH2 client. Well we don't want to see the old SSH client, or module, next to the SSH2 client anymore so:

11) to remove old SSH client login from menu:

In Webmin on the upper left click on "Webmin" then in the submenu click on "Webmin Users"
    Now on the right you will see a list of the Webmin Users. Click on "admin" the user we created above.
    Now click on "Available Webmin modules". This will show a list of all the modules available for the user admin to view.
    Scroll down to the "Others" section. You can remove the checkmark from "SSH Login" then click on save below.

Now the old SSH login will not be available to view for the admin user in Webmin.

Hope this helps some newbies that need file management or those that don't love command line.

C-ya

• Thank you so much for your advice. Webmin ist definitely my choice. Unfortunately I get a java error when i try to open the file manager.

My Computer runs under Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) -> Java Version 6 only. Any ideas?

• I don't use Apple products. But I take it you have installed Java on your machine. I would try uninstalling it and reinstalling the latest version from the website. You get messages like this when your version is old.

• You wouldn't be using Webmin for creating Samba shares. You would be using more for it's administration features. Like if you want to make a simple edit to a file or if you want to add a group to a user. Lots of stuff you can do on webmin. New users, don't mess with Samba shares in webmin, ok.

I really recommend webmin for new users. It helped me understand the file structure and lot of other things in linux much faster.

• The features i like webmin for is :

More info on the smart for example. The temperature color for a failing disk shows red in the overview.
    Something that would be nice to see in ovm too.

Also the custom commands are easy. Create a button that performs a command. Faster then logging in on ssh to perform it when its just for a simple task.

And ofcourse other stuff like setting up squid & calamaris very handy if you force your network to use the nas as gateway for making your internet(http) faster, less bandwith consuming and filtering for the kids.

• There is a lot more then that. I manage my firewall with it and there is a 3rd Party module for Hylafax. Before we had plugins for OMV I was using some modules in webmin, like the 3rd Party minidlna module. But it's mostly good for administration stuff. It is great for editing user and group settings. So much stuff. Way easier then having all the commands memorized. You will in time but when you are new it helps a lot.

• There are 10 kind of people, those who learn it the hard way and those who don't learn it at all.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

There are 10 kind of people

??? Do you mean 2 kinds of people???

I think there are more then that. I think there are 4 levels: Newbs, Intermediate, Advanced and Freaks

PS- David got me. I'm to tired right now.

• If you're using OSX there is a easier way to manage files directly on your OMV.
    Start ssh witj X redirect like:

Code
    ssh <user>@<omv-ipadress> -X

Then start the filemanager which is installed om your OMV GUI like Nautilus, Thunar or whatever name it has, by typing the command in the ssh console window.
    The graphical output (X) of the filemanager is displayed directly on your mac but is actually running and doing filemanagement directly on OMV.

• jensk, thank you so much for your advice. I never thought that someting like this is even possible. Perfect!

The fileexplorer in webmin is blocked by Java for secutity reasons I don't understand (something with certificates - both Apple with Java Vers.6 and Win 7 with Java Vers.7) but the solution with X in combination with Thunar in my case is even better. Getting access with a windows machine I installed TightVNC server in Debian and tigervnc as windows client.

Besides that I will use webmin for other adminstration tasks. I 'm not a cli guy.

OMV 0.5.x - 64 bit - 3.2 Backport Kernel
    HP HP ProLiant MicroServer N54L (4GB RAM), HDD: 1 x 160 GB, 1 x WD RED 3 TB, Clients: Mac OSX 10.6, Win7

• I've got a modified tigervnc server on my OMV and use Real VNC viewer as client on my windows machines. You should learn how encrypt your vnc sessions with an ssh tunnel if you are not. Webmin is good for lots of stuff besides file management.

• Yeah, a plugin could be created and it would probably work with iframes so you could access in a window inside of OMV. I'm not sure if the java would work correctly. It would be interesting to try.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!