Question: OMV + KVM, Raid/Smart question

• Hi All,

I've been using Freenas for a couple years and have been pretty happy with it, but think I'm going to rebuild my NAS using OMV as linux is a bit more familiar to me than BSD.

One option I really like the idea of is using KVM (possibly Proxmox?) and run OMV as a guest within it. This would allow me some flexibility in adding a tv headend guest later if needed without mucking around too much on the client that's running the NAS.

That said, I'm trying to figure out if there are any major drawbacks?

Mainly:
    1 - Does SMART error reporting still working when OMV is a guest OS?
    2 - Do power states/hard drive shutdowns still work properly as well?
    3 - Alternatively.. I THINK I'm seeing that some people run OMV as the HOST OS for KVM guests? If this is possible, perhaps this would be better (as OMV would have direct access to everything instead of it being virtualized.

I will be installing this on modern hardware (ivy bridge) that supports VT-X (only hardware detail that I think may be relevant).

I appreciate any responses, and I apologize for my first post to be a question. Just wanting to understand any trade-offs before I start.

Note that I did google for this and found others asking similar questions, but no specific answers.

Thanks again!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think the guest could do that things you want. Why not use OMV as the host with the virtualbox plugin for clients?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

Just install OMV as usual and use VB plugin to host guests. No need to overcomplicate things :)

Cheers and thanks again for the quick response!

• Hi !

at the moment i run a ubuntu server with a KVM VM (mail server).

I want to switch to OMV when version 1.0 is final.

Does it make sense to use Vbox for the VM (i think this woul be very easy) or is it complicated to install the stuff to run my KVM VM on Kralizec?

Greets karl

• Offizieller Beitrag

I ran my mail server on a virtualbox VM for a long time. So, yes it would work fine.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

KVM is definitely faster but it doesn't matter if you have hardware that is fast enough. virtualbox is fast enough and stable.

• Hi OP, if you want to try OMV as a KVM guest, and expect the HDD power, spinning status reported correctly, you may need a HBA pass throughed in host, which means your CPU, motherboard, BIOS/EFI should support VT-d, not just VT-x functionality. I have tried OMV in Proxmox 3.1, but finally switched to VMware ESXi, as it works more well on my hardware.

OMV 1.0.x built in ESXi 5.0 U3
    3x2T WD Green + 1x2T Seagate + 4x3T Seagate
    1x500G Seagate for dedicated BT/PT download
    LSI9211-8i pass through

• By my own knowledge and own tests, OpenMediaVault don´t runs properly on a PROXMOX OpenVZ container. It don´t manages NICs and other stuffs.
    But it runs nicely on a PROXMOX VM (KVM).

• I'm running OMV on ProxmoxVE and so far I haven't noticed a difference with it being virtualized or running on bare metal. You need pci passthrough for SMART data. Other than that it's the same as running it the normal way.
    I have 2 VM's constantly running along OMV, one win7 client and a ubuntu server. Proxmox is a lot more comfortable to manage than Virtualbox, the web UI is just more mature.

It all really boils down to what you want to do. If you don't use virtualization that often the Virtualbox plugin would be enough. But If you constantly try out new systems or need to prepare a VM for production use, Proxmox is the way to go. The only downside to Proxmox so far is it's lack of OVA/OVF support.

• I'm running OMV on ProxmoxVE and so far I haven't noticed a difference with it being virtualized or running on bare metal. You need pci passthrough for SMART data. Other than that it's the same as running it the normal way.
    I have 2 VM's constantly running along OMV, one win7 client and a ubuntu server. Proxmox is a lot more comfortable to manage than Virtualbox, the web UI is just more mature.

It all really boils down to what you want to do. If you don't use virtualization that often the Virtualbox plugin would be enough. But If you constantly try out new systems or need to prepare a VM for production use, Proxmox is the way to go. The only downside to Proxmox so far is it's lack of OVA/OVF support.

Hi Sodden,
    How do you make a pci passthrough for this :?:

Having same issue with SMART and OMV Guest under Proxmox.
    Actually I solved it by "qm set" my 4 hdd by-id and I used the scsi driver and ids (my hdd provide ata and scsi id !).
    SMART does not work in ata, virtio, not enough ide ports to test.
    But it works with SCSI hope this help...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!