Strange behaviour multiple NIC's

• Hi everyone.

I've recently installed a new NIC in my system to replace an ancient 100mbit onboard one and everything appeared to be working great. However, after a recent power outage I rebooted the system and couldn't connect to it anymore, its IP wasn't even listed in some network scan tool I was using. I tried rebooting it with the ethernet cable in the onboard NIC and it worked again. Afterwards, without rebooting, I got that ethernet cable, removed it from the onboard NIC and inserted it into the new NIC. I could access the machine perfectly fine over the new NIC and everything appeared in order in the Sytem->Network tab of the webgui.

After rebooting the machine again, it was still working perfectly fine. That got me a bit curious, so I checked the System->Network tab again and got this stack trace:

Code
    Error #6003:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Device 'eth1-eth0' not supported' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/network.inc:250
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceNetwork->enumerateDevicesList(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(62): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('enumerateDevice...', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(495): OMVRpc::exec('Network', 'enumerateDevice...', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

After showing the error it does not list any network interfaces at all, but as I said, it still appears to be working. So the following questions are more to resolve any curiosity i'm having. Why does it not display any network interfaces, even tough I'm clearly using one (bug maybe?)? Why is the interface called eth1-eth0 and not simply eth1 or eth0? Did the problem I experienced after the power outage have something to do with some faulty network configuration?

More information:
    I'm not trying anything like bonding, I only have an ethernet cable in 1 interface at a time.
    ifconfig and ip link show:

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can delete '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules' to get rid of the curious 'eth1-eth0' interface name. Before deleting please check the '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules' content if this interface is listed there. You may also delete the line to get rid of it. After reboot the interface should get a correct name again.

• Thanks for the reply! The interface does not seem to be listed there. This is the content of that file:

Code
    # This file was automatically generated by the /lib/udev/write_net_rules
    # program, run by the persistent-net-generator.rules rules file.
    #
    # You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single
    # line, and change only the value of the NAME= key.

# PCI device 0x8086:0x1050 (e100)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:0c:f1:de:b5:10", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

EDIT: After looking at the file better I noticed that the MAC-address of eth0 in the file corresponded to what the webgui and "ip link show" called eth0-eth1. After deleting that line and rebooting, System->Network is working again. Thank you! Just for my curiosity's sake, what exactly was the problem? I hate fixing things without knowing how it was done :P

• The rule says how each network adaptor is named. if thats messed up due to nic change e.g. you simply delte the rule to let debian reassign a name for you nic.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Or do the right thing:

Do not delete the entry, but change it to reflect your changed adapter.

From what I understand from your logs, you had the onboard adapter with MAC address of: 00:0c:f1:de:b5:10

Then you added another one and it come up with a link and the system is now confused as you defined eth0 to be 00:0c:f1:de:b5:10 and so it assumes this to be a second MAC to the same adapter... confusing even for the best kernel.

So change your file to this:

Code
    # This file was automatically generated by the /lib/udev/write_net_rules
    # program, run by the persistent-net-generator.rules rules file.
    #
    # You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single
    # line, and change only the value of the NAME= key.

# PCI device 0x8086:0x1050 (e100)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="aa:aa:aa:00:42:fd", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

And you should be fine.

Actually this file is a persistant binding to a physical interface. In terms of multiple interfaces you exactly want this persistent binding. Make sure you keep it clean :)

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!