[solved] Resize doesn't work

• Hi,

i want to resize my RAID 6 from ~18 TB to ~22 TB.

The resize of the RAID worked without issues, but if i try to resize my filesystem (ext4) i get the following error:

Code
    Fehler #4000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'resize2fs /dev/md127': ' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc:679
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->resize(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('resize', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(495): OMVRpc::exec('FileSystemMgmt', 'resize', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

if i try via shell:

Code
    root@omv:~# resize2fs /dev/md127
    resize2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
    resize2fs: /dev/md127: Die Kombination der Eigenschaften flex_bg und
    t!resize_inode wird von resize2fs nicht unterestützt.

i use omv 1.08

thanks

• Here is maybe an answer:

http://serverfault.com/questio…-flex-bg-and-resize-inode

Code
    Finally, I got an answer from the linux-ext4 mailing list - the mkfs.ext4 command I used was borked. I mixed up -t and -T. It should have read:

mkfs.ext4 -v -b 4096 -t ext4 -T huge -E stride=128,stripe-width=256 /dev/md0
    And then - I am told - it would have included resize_inode and worked as expected.

Does Openmediavault mixe up "-t and -T" too or what is the reason for my failure?

It seems to me that this command will delete all my data, correct?

Is there a way to get it working without the data loss?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would install the openmediavault-backup plugin, install systemrescuecd and boot into that. Then startx and resize using gparted.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Code
    root@omv:~# tune2fs -O +resize_inode /dev/md127
    tune2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
    Das Setzen der Dateisystem-Eigenschaft „resize_inode“ wird nicht unterstützt.

that's exactly the same message as the guy got in this link i posted...

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I would install the openmediavault-backup plugin, install systemrescuecd and boot into that. Then startx and resize using gparted.

i could boot directly into gparted without the plugin, which should be the same?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, just trying to make it easy.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have resized ext4 filesystems plenty of times in OMV. Not that big though. Maybe it is still a greater than 16tb issue??

• just get to command line and simply run

resize2fs /dev/md127

without any parameters it will resize it to the maximum possible size. That should work.

Also, do you have a partition in /dev/md127? That would complicate things, cause after resizesing the RAID device, you need to grow the partition and then resize the FS.

I love LVM :)

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Offizieller Beitrag

He tried that in the first post.

• Oh,

I thought that was output of OMV. Hmm ... that is not good.

Then to work around that issue, try SystemRescueCD ?

my ext4 is below 16TB so that may make things worse here.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Offizieller Beitrag

SystemRescueCD or gparted-live should work.

• Hi all, I am experiencing this same issue. RAID array is now grown to 16.37TiB.

I've used gparted before, so I can make a usb boot stick to do this, however, I'm a bit confused.. Doesn't mdadm need to be running in the background in order for me to grow my ext4 filesystem / main partition? Is there where using the systemrescuecd plugin mentioned above comes in?

In my case I have a 9.95TiiB ext4 file system already existing with data on it (that I do not want to lose!). Which of the above methods is correct for resizing this file system (gparted usb vs systemrescuecd plugin / startx / gparted) ?

• The easiest way for me: gparted live disc via USB.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks, I'll try thast. This works, even though the mdadm/raid software doesn't run in the background? It seems like a file system on top of a raid-array would need the raid-array to be active for it to be re-sized.. or does re-sizing merely change a 'pointer' to the new end of the file system, and then mdadm acknowledges it on next boot?

• Alltough I did not test with a mdadm raid, gparted should support it just fine.

So jump ahead and insert gparted, you will quickly see yourself wether or not it can expand your filesystem.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Unfortunately, no go :(

gparted seems to detect a 'recursive partition' and won't let me touch the file system. See pictures.

Any ideas?

Edit - also, there is no actual /dev/sdj.. I'm using gparted-live-0.18.0-1-i486, perhaps I'll see if an updated version exists.

Edit 2 - hrm, after using gparted to format this USB disk, I see the recursive error again.. perhaps an issue with the USB stick and not OMV. Trying another stick.

• I'm not at home... but:

https://www.google.de/search?q…UTF-8&hl=de&client=safari

Quick look suggests that it should work.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!