Shared Folders vs CIFS/SMB Share

• Can I ask a clarifying question... In this post, tekkbebe says:

This goes back to the design issue. Do not put shares inside of shares. Have one share and then add subfolders to it when connected via the one share. Some services should have their own share and not combined with others like you did.

When you say don't put shares inside of shares, are you saying don't put SMB shares inside of SMB shares or don't put shared folders inside SMB shares? I understand the first one, but are you saying don't put something like your "Downloads" folder that is a shared folder used with Transmission inside a Videos folder that is a SMB share?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes that's pretty much. I have a SMB share, inside that share I have another one that i use for DLNA, an another one that I use for transmission. Sometimes you run into permission issues that's why.
    I should fix that in my system one day with symlinks.

• Yes, I am talking Samba shares here. When you create a shared folder the default drop down is chmod 775 (i.e. owner r/w/e, user r/w/e and others read only). This is good for say a media folder. So you create a media folder and then share it with Samba. Then you connect to the share from say a Windows machine. While connected you can create a Music, Movies, Photos, etc... folders. Because the folder is media folder is chmod 775 and anything created in the media folder by users given permission will be chmod 775 and chown will be owner:users (the person that created will be the owner). Don't pay attention to whether a file is executable as the data drives are mounted noexec.

With minidlna you can just select the media folder SMB share and use all media types. With plex you can select an individual folder like Movies via their tree selection. Since the folders and contents are 775 others is read only and this is all plex and minidlna need. For something like Transmission you should create a script that can be run at the end of the download that will move the files to another folder and change chmod & chown to appropriate for the folder where you would like content. There is an entry where you can put script you want in the settings. Make sure script is on the system drive as it needs to be executable.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!