Is this a good plan for my NAS?

• Hello All,

Building a NAS and planning to use my working old PC. Here is the configuration -

ESC K7VTA3 motherboard.
    DDR SDRAM 1GB PC2700 (2 X 512 MB) memory
    2 built in IDE ports on motherboard
    5 PCI slots (note there are NO PCIe slots)
    4 USB 2.0 ports

I plan to connect TWO 2TB SATA drives for a RAID 1 configuration.

Obviously since the data drives will be SATA and my mobo doesn't have them built-in here are 3 options -

1. Use SATA to IDE convertors for the two data drives. In this case I will have one IDE drive containing OMV+OS and two SATA drives which I plan to connect as:
    IDE0 ---------- OS drive (master)-------[SATA drive connected using IDE-->SATA Convertor](Slave)
    IDE1 ----------[SATA drive connected using IDE-->SATA Convertor](Master)

2. Buy a PCI to 2 port SATA adapter, connect the SATA drives to this adapter. Connect IDE0 ---------- OS drive. Leave IDE1 unconnected

3. Use USB to SATA cables and connect the SATA drives to available USB ports. Use IDE port for OS drive and leave IDE1 unconnected as in option #2.
    The USBs are USB2.0 so not sure if this option has performance penalty ?

Q1. Which Drive configuration options below are better

Q2. Will OMV be configurable to create RAID 1 in software since the mobo does not support it natively ?

Thanks in advance,

Guy

• Thanks WastIJ.

Following your recommendation, I found this very inexpensive card at Monoprice which is PERFECT.

(http://www.monoprice.com/Produ…=&seq=1&format=4#feedback)

2 SATA ports AND 1 IDE port on same card for $10.xx - Looks like made for me :) Now I can connect the two DATA drives on the two SATA ports and my OMV OS IDE drive on the IDE port !!

It does not seem to come with Linux driver but looks like it uses VIA6421 chip. Any idea if OMV (Debian) supports a driver for this ?

• Found some good and some bad things about debian and this card via google. But all are very old threads (2010 and older).
    I think for 10 bucks, it is worth a try. If it does not work with the installed kernel 3.2 I would try to install the backports kernel via OMV Extras. ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!