Hard drive Smart error, how to replace?

• Currently in my NAS I have 3 x 4tb drives, 2 x 2tb drives, and a small OS drive. One of the 2tb drives is constantly giving me a SMART error about spin up time. If I want to replace this drive with another 4tb drive how do I do this. Since the data is pooled I have no idea what's on this specific drive, and therefor really no way of backing it up without backing up the entire system and it's getting to big for that. As I'm filling it it's using most free space so it's put more of the data on the 4tb drives and this drive only has 100gb on it. Is there any way of safely swapping this drive out?

I've searched and found ryecoaaron's explanation on how to do this saying:

Turn system off.
    Put new drive in.
    Boot clonezilla.
    Clone the old drive to new drive.
    Turn system off.
    Remove old drive.
    OMV won't even know you changed drives.
    Then boot gparted-live and resize the drive to take advantage of new space.

This just concerns me because of not being able to back the whole thing up. The hard drive in question is the sdb below:

Thank you for any help, sorry if this has been asked somewhere else but I searched and couldn't find anything.

• The explanation sounds right to me.
    I am just not quite sure what he means by resizing - the cloned partition probably.

However you would be better of with a RAID setup. And not having a backup is never a good idea

• Well it's currently setup with snap raid but I wouldn't mind having an additional hd for redundancy. It was something else I was going to ask but wanted to cover one thing at a time

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!