USB Backup Settings - Just Stopped Working

• My USB Backup config, just stopped working over the last weeks. the entries were still there, but they wouldn't run (manual or automatically).

I deleted the job, and re-created and they are working again. I guess it must have been related to an update at some point, but can't pinpoint which.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you reformat the usb device?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I meant did you reformat before it stopped working? I assume you don't have it email you when the backup is complete?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• so, it happens again in the last week or two. not sure of precise date.

- I have 5 jobs in the USB Backup queue.
    - each job can be run successfully by selecting the run button (assuming drive was mounted first)
    - i have an annacron job which triggers the sync file and successfully auto run each day (i know i am supposed to remove the usb drive but can't be stuffed)
    - after some upgrades, the USB Backup no longer works
    i.e. selecting Run, the window doesn't open.
    - new to re-add the jobs, and delete the old jobs
    - individual jobs now run using the run button, annacron successfully triggers all jobs without any change.

• in answer to your previous questions ryecoaaron, no.
    I have a 4TB drive connected to the USB port and am too lazy to remove it.
    I preform a daily backup by triggering all the USB Backup jobs with anacron.
    everything works fine, except occasionally after certain upgrades, the USB Baackup job no longer seem to work per the above.

• bumb......just happened again after last upgrade.....really annoying.

One thing i can add. when you try to run the job manually after an upgrade, you only get an empty box open after the standard text
    "Please note that the web interface is blocked until the manually started backup job has been finished. However the backup job is automatically executed in the background when the storage device is connected to the host."
    You don't get the building file list message.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think your anacron commands are not doing something that the udev script does when a usb device is plugged in. Why don't you just use an rsync job if you are going to leave the drive plugged in? You can schedule that as well.

• ryecoaaron, because when i am not lazy i do actually remove the drive and i will get a 2nd drive to rotate so that one backup drive is always off site.

but as i say, the USB jobs, work fine. either when triggered after the drive is plugged in, or when the schedule is kicked off daily if the drive remains plugged in.
    It USB Jobs only stop working after each update. which has nothing to do with the anacron jobs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You missed my point. I assume you are executing the rsync script(s) in /var/lib/openmediavault/usbbackup.d? I'm sure that works fine once but it doesn't run the cleanup function that is in the matching sync script.

• Below is a trigger for the script that i am running, but i think you miss the point.
    I am saying the individual job under "USB Backup" from the web interface, don't "run" when the manual run is selected after an update.
    The job in the web interface has to be deleted and re-created every time the is an update to openmedia-extras.
    So the issue is nothing to do with the anacron script, etc. it is purely the USB Backup plugin related.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I also don't understand how updating omv-extras affects it since usbbackup is a core OMV plugin. You say that it isn't the script but you are doing quite a few things that the usbbackup plugin may not be expecting. If I was going to do this, I would use more of the code that the udev script uses (didn't test this, add your logging commands if you want):

• hi ryecoaaron,

i will look into what your suggestion, but like i say you can forget the anacron script.
    everything i have been talking , is from the USB Backup plugin in the web interface of the plugin.

I have four jobs defined.
    i goto directly to the plugin interface, highlight the job and select the "run" button - the individual job runs and you have to wait till it finishes.
    All jobs work that way.
    Unplug the USB drive, plug it back in, and the jobs run.

until, i get an update. i.e. the last one 1.23
    the jobs no longer run (either by removing and replugging the drive, or by selecting "run" from the plugin web interface.
    Delete the jobs, and re-add and everything is working again.

so, at this point, i am not even using the anacron scripts.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok. I don't understand why updating omv-extras would affect it at all. They have nothing in common. I wrote omv-extras and Volker wrote usbbackup. I use usbbackup all the time. I even tried to recreate your steps and everything works fine. Have you tried removing and reinstalling the usbbackup plugin?

• I am going to check it with the 1.25 update.
    -----------------
    Currently i have in the update manager
    libpq5 9.1.16
    ntfs-3g
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg 1.25
    -----------------
    - I have just mounted the USB drive
    - USB Backup plugin - Jobs Screen
    - highlighted the 1st job in the USB Backup Plugin (run ok)
    - highlighted the 2nd job in the USB Backup Plugin (run ok)
    - highlighted the 3rd job in the USB Backup Plugin (run ok)

gone into Update Manager, select all, upgrade
    updates Done..
    -----------------
    drive still mounted
    - highlighted the 1st job in the USB Backup Plugin (run ok)
    - highlighted the 2nd job in the USB Backup Plugin (run ok)
    ----------------------
    Ok, so it must be something else as it has happened on three separate occasions.
    I will pay more attention to each update and check after each one to try and pinpoint a specific cause.

thanks for all the help so far

• Hi ryecoaaron, so the USB Backup jobs have stopped working again. (although I haven't run any updates)
    So, it seems to have stopped after 1 week. The only other thing I have done in the last week, was to restart the unit.

Symptom is:
    - web admin - plugin list of jobs
    - highlight job
    - select run from menu
    - execute backup job dialog opens - click start
    - dialog show (quickly) please wait....but comes back to exxecute dialog with no messages.
    - true for all jobs in list

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you look in the logs to see if there is an error? I don't remember if usb backup logs to the rsync log. You might have to file a bug report otherwise.

• ryecoaaron, i have the cause.

I re-added a job checked that it was working.
    DIrectly after the job finished, i went to the menu - reboot option on the web interface.

after the restart, the job no longer runs.
    yes, the rsync log shows the output from the running of the job, but nothing about the execution trigger of course.

my versions below.
    +++-==========================-==================-==================-=========================================================
    ii openmediavault-anacron 1.0.2 all anacron plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii openmediavault-backup 1.0.11 all backup plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii openmediavault-clamav 1.3 all OpenMediaVault ClamAV plugin
    ii openmediavault-extplorer 1.1 all OpenMediaVault eXtplorer plugin
    ii openmediavault-keyring 0.3 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii openmediavault-links 1.5 all OpenMediaVault links plugin
    ii openmediavault-mysql 1.0.16 all MySQL plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii openmediavault-nut 1.2 all OpenMediaVault Network UPS Tools (NUT) plugin
    ii openmediavault-omvextrasor 1.25 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    ii openmediavault-plexmediase 1.0.10 all OpenMediaVault Plex Media Server plugin
    un openmediavault-processlist <none> (no description available)
    ii openmediavault-shellinabox 1.1 all OpenMediaVault shellinabox
    un openmediavault-supportinfo <none> (no description available)
    ii openmediavault-usbbackup 1.4 all OpenMediaVault USB/eSATA backup plugin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• ryecoaaron,

I finally got the the bottom of this, but don't know the solution.

It seems for some (still unknown) reason, the rsync-xxx files in the /run directory don't get cleaned up.
    The USB Backup jobs then stop working.

As soon as these files are deleted, the USB Backup jobs start working again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Probably worth a bug report then.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!