Mantis 0001421: TRIM (‘discard’) is not enabled for SSDs.

• I use a SSD as my OMV system drive .

Found this notice on the OMV web page for OMV 2.1.20 :

Mantis 0001421: TRIM (‘discard’) is not enabled for SSDs. Thanks to Ian Grant for the patch.

What will this mean for me ? Will the trim command automatically be activated when Debian or OMV detect
    a SSD as my system drive.

Where or how can I check that "trim" is activated for my SSD or not ?

THX

• Check /etc/fstab or the output of 'mount' and see whether the entry for / has the discard keyword.
    It's likely that it does, since this will have been set properly at install time, if I remember correctly.
    What's fixed in OMV 2.1.20 is that additional disks that are SSDs now have discard set when mounted via the WebGUI, prior to this a bug prevented it from working.

Note that even if discard is not set, and especially if you have lots of free space on your SSD (likely if it is just being used for OMV's boot disk), then it will not make any difference to performance now and indeed maybe never as most SSDs these days have active garbage collection.

• I think this must be chekced via command line and not omv gui.

bcs I'm not familiar w linux, can you give me the complete comand line

"see whether the entry for / has the discard keyword." what does" / "here mean ?

• Yes, you will need command line access to verify this. If you are uncomfortable with that, check how much free space is available on your SSD? If it is significant, then you don't need to worry about TRIM/discard, it's optional and will have no/negligible effect in the event of large free space.

If you do want to verify it, login via the command line and type cat /etc/fstab - check the output for the line that has '/' under the mount point column, this is your system disk. Check the fourth column for the discard keyword.

Alternatively, run this one-liner instead: cat /etc/fstab | egrep "^[^#].+\s+\/\s+" | grep -q discard && echo "TRIM (discard) is enabled for /" || echo "TRIM (discard) is NOT enabled for /"

• You have several options:

• Edit /etc/fstab and add the 'discard' keyword for the SSD (/ mount point)
    • Manually trim the filesystem by periodically using the command fstrim /
    • Don't worry about it. If you are only using the SSD for OMV, it will probably never come anywhere near using up the remaining ~50GB and performance will therefore not be affected.
    • Don't worry about it. All Kingston SSDs have their own garbage collection algorithm.
    • Don't worry about it. The system disk in OMV is not usually subject to intensive I/O, therefore you will be very unlikely to notice any ill effects (especially since the high idle time will allow garbage collection to work efficiently).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!