Proposal: Change system requirements to 4 GB system drive

• Hello,
    after having trouble related to a full system drive time and time again with those OMV-machines I run from 2 GB USB-sticks I propose to change the system requirements mentioned on openmediavault.org from 2 GB to 4 GB for the system drive.
    I think that could save many beginners a lot of time and frustration.
    What do you guys think?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do you guys think?

Can you even buy 2gb sticks anymore? Where are you seeing the system requirement of 2gb? While I have a couple of long running installs that use less than 2gb, I think 8gb is an acceptable minimum.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Can you even buy 2gb sticks anymore?

Sure, but today they're usually labeled differently. A customer bought recently a bunch of 128GB Sandisk Cruzer Blade thumb drives just to realize that usable capacity on the first 2 sticks tested was less than 1GB. I suggested running a data recovery software on the remaining drives and as expected all but one contained data. All performed horrible but it was no problem to get a refund for all those counterfeit drives when showing H2testw report to the seller.

I think 8gb is an acceptable minimum

Fully agree. But IMO it should be added to installation tutorials that users should always use either F3 or H2testw first to check for counterfeit/broken SD cards and thumb drives. The problem is still massive and users not realizing this will end up with mysterious system behaviour later.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But IMO it should be added to installation tutorials that users should always use either F3 or H2testw first to check for counterfeit/broken SD cards and thumb drives. The problem is still massive and users not realizing this will end up with mysterious system behaviour later.

Sounds fine to me.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I don't know if you can still buy 2 GB sticks, but for sure a lot of people might read the system requirement saying 2 GB (https://wiki.openmediavault.or…x.php?title=Prerequisites) and will take such a stick out of their drawer. That's what I did because I like using stuff that's perfectly ok and otherwise would just collect dust and it worked very well at first, but that was with an older version of OMV. Yes, my sticks were all H2testw tested successfully BTW.
    My OMV (a pure backup system, so nearly no extra plugins/services installed) that was installed on a 4 GB stick from the beginning runs trouble free, so I suggest to change the requirement listed in the wiki to 4 GB and maybe add a recommendation that for installing many plugins and services an 8 GB stick would be better.
    I also like the idea of recommending testing the flash memory beforehand.
    After my bad experience with 2 GB sticks I now cloned all my OMV-installations to 4 GB or bigger sticks using dd so I'm good to go.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have lots of usb sticks but I think only one is less than 4gb. If a person takes the oldest, smallest stick they have, then they probably shouldn't be doing anything important with the OMV install and 2 gb shouldn't fill.

but for sure a lot of people might read the system requirement saying 2 GB

Funny that I post again and again and again about things people should do to have a happy OMV install and very few read those. Windows 10 says you can install on a 1GHz cpu, 1 GB ram, and 16gb disk space but you would be very unhappy if you did and couldn't install anything. But that is why they are minimums.

• Why not do anything important with it? The userdata is on other drives anyway, so that's save and the stick can be imaged easily.
    The 2 GBs for me filled up on every release update and sometimes even when smaller updates were done.
    I used other projects like FreeNAS for years before moving to OMV and in the beginning those projects were kind of advertising "hey, use old hardware you have sitting around and create a NAS out of it", so that's where at least my approach came from initially.
    Just because Microsoft and a lot of other, mostly commercial software providers make the mistake of giving too low minimum requirements OMV doesn't need to do the same and you posting again and again and again here in the forum is pretty meaningless when the wiki says 2 GB.
    This discussion is pointless anyway, since my initial posting was only about changing the wiki entry. Please do it!
    Greets!

• Offizieller Beitrag

This discussion is pointless anyway, since my initial posting was only about changing the wiki entry. Please do it!

First of all, it wasn't pointless. I did bring up a number to change it to and some might find it interesting.
    Second, why can't a discussion evolve to tiny bit?
    Finally, I can't "do it" since I don't have wiki access. You can ask Volker for access just as easily as I can.

• Ok, I just had the impression that while you were agreeing about 2 GB being not enough you saw no need to change the official minimum/recommendation.
    I'd say 4GB should be listed as being the minimum for bare nacked installations and 8 GB for installation with additional software.
    So how can we reach Volker to change the wiki or is it likely that he will read this thread in the near future anyway?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So how can we reach Volker to change the wiki or is it likely that he will read this thread in the near future anyway?

@votdev If he doesn't post in a few days, send him a pm.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!