Need advice: OMV in a VM?

• I'm planning to build a new pc that will be used as 1. a windows pc for browsing/listening to music and 2. a NAS using OMV. My plan is to make this work by using VM's. A host (preferably Linux based) WM's with Windows and OMV.

The setup will be something like:

Code
    ASRock J4105-ITX (Intel Quad-Core Processor J4105)
    16GB DDR4 SODIMM
    PCI-E Sata adapter (4 ports)
    256 GB SSD for HOST
    2x3TB for Storage for OMV
    2x6TB for Backups of data for OMV
    2x750GB for Windows VM

Questions:

1. Is it possible to run OMV in a VM and are there disadvantages?
    2. Which host OS/distro would you advise to use?
    3. Is it possible to have (direct) access to USB connected devices in the VM's? (The Windows PC needs to use an external soundcard/mixer for which there are no Linux drivers)
    4. Is it possible to have direct access to the hard drives? Since I know how OMV and Windows work I'd like to partition the disks in OMV/windows itself. If there's a crash I can just swap the disk into another system and recovery my data.

Thanks in forward for all suggestions/help.

• Why not simply run OMV in a VM on Windows?
    It seems like you're being a bit too complicated and you lose a lot of functionality running Windows in a VM, unlike Linux which is quite happy to run in a VM, especially for something like OMV.
    That said, there are some drawbacks, like disk access and access to network interfaces and ports by running OMV in a VM.
    Yes, it's possible to have direct access to ports these days, but then that port tends to be unavailable for use with anything else. This is somewhat hardware dependant as well.
    I don't think the drive partitioning will work like you hope though, as if you want both OSes to access the drives simultaneously, you're going to end up with terrible performance in both cases.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Offizieller Beitrag

Proxmox is a good free debian based hyper-visor. Not sure about passing sound card threw to windows tho. I think it may be possible. You can also pass the video card to windows. If you are planning to use zfs, do it on proxmox and assign what you need to omv. Zfs is very stable on proxmox and not so much on omv.

If you make it idiot proof, somebody will build a better idiot.

• Why not simply run OMV in a VM on Windows?

Because I hate Window's policy of rebooting for updates without my permission. This is not an option for a NAS that needs to be up all the time. Also the Windows PC will be used by my family, If they screw something up I'd like to just put another VM in place to replace it.

• Because I hate Window's policy of rebooting for updates without my permission. This is not an option for a NAS that needs to be up all the time. Also the Windows PC will be used by my family, If they screw something up I'd like to just put another VM in place to replace it.

You're better off building two systems, as I'm sorry to say that Windows won't work well as a VM. It won't have direct access to much of the hardware it would want to have access to as a VM. In my experience, VM's are fine for things that doesn't require video acceleration or 3D acceleration, but works poorly if either of those are required.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!