need some advice on first OMV build

• Decided to move my storage into a dedicated nas and use snapraid for redundancy (bad memories from old HDD taking all my data with him)
    Case = ? => no idea yet
    MB = Asrock J3455-ITX, small itx with 4 sata
    RAM = plan to order cheap 2*4GB ddr3
    OS HDD = might use one of my ssd's or just USB
    PSU = PicoPSU-150W 12V + 90W brick => why 150W? the price was a bit higher then 90W and gives me extra room for later on
    HDD = 3x8TB => have 2 right now from seagate and plan to get another one.

few questions:
    1 - do i need 8+GB of ram or 4GB is enough?
    2 - what is the best way to setup an OMV with Snapraid?
    3 - any advice on a case? no problem with moding it but want a small footprint

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you have lost all your data once, you should know that no Raid (be it Raid 1/5/10/Snap/whatever) is a backup. You need to get a real backup solution if your data is that important to you.

Given the cost, I would probably go 8gb vs 4gb. Do you "need" it? Probably not, but the cost difference on ddr3 is probably negligible at best given the performance increase.

Is a 90w power supply gonna power all that? Seems like it would be cutting it very close. Seems silly to buy a 150w power supply w/ a 90w brick, then talk about being able to expand later one. Buy once, cry once.

I don't like Realtek NIC's. I'll just leave it at that.

I'd use a flash drive so you have all 4 sata ports for data (you could get an adapter cable and boot it off one of the internal headers, if you don't want the flash drive just hanging outside the case for someone to snatch out)

Chassis, a lot depends on what you want (just a box of drives, hot swap, etc.)

• @KM0201, i agree that raid is not a backup, but with 3*8TB having enough storage for 1:1 backup will be expensive as hell... prefer redundancy .

the price of a cheap 4GB ddr3 isn't expensive thats true... lets change to is it worth doing dual channel 2*4 or 1*8?

i know the 90W+150W isn't the best option, was thinking 90W should be enough but then saw the 150W pico for extra 2$

Chassis = just a box, no need for hot swap. prefer to get it as small as i can, my main pc is SilverStone SG05 for example

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe I'm not understanding, but to me common sense says if a 150w Pico, plugs into a 90w power brick, the brick can't supply more than 90w, so you're effectively limiting the 150w to 90w.

I personally would go dual channel, but I'm not sure if there's a big performance difference between the two.

You don't really say much regarding budget, but I would look at these two...

COOLER MASTER Elite 110 RC-110-KKN2 (you'd have to go the flash drive route for the OS in this one, or get real creative mounting a 2.5in ssd)

Fractal Design Node 304. More expensive, but you get a lot of case for the money.

• More or less year but in DC-DC you have some other things also like if i use "100%" full power 90W brick the 150W psu would work better as i don't "stress" the system as much. more or less the hardware on the different pico changes. we will see when i get them.

the elite 110 looks nice, might have it local (being non usa makes life hard for good hardware)

thx for the help

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!