• Hi,

I need your opinion and advices here.

1. What do you think of using an intel nuc or a gigabyte brix as a barebone pc host for omv ? What cpu power would you choose for very good performance of omv and plugins such as plex for example ?

2. the purpose is to plug a das such as this 8 drives fantec http://www.fantec.eu/html/fr/2…053090539990/article.html. so no raid management for omv to do (so this has to be taken into consideration for question 1).
    The fantec can be plugged either with esata or usb3. Theorically, usb 3 is faster than esata but i'm not totally convinced, what do you think of ?

3. Is it possible for OMV to have no internal drive at all in the nuc and use only the das storage ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The NUC has plenty of power for OMV. The external storage would work just fine as well. You would still need an os drive though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks.
    There are a lot of nuc, some with very low cpu and some very powerful, you have all the range of a tradictional pc :) question being what choice is made in this range :)

I were searching a solution for dropping the os drive to avoid crash problems, raid is supposed to avoid that :) no way for omv to benefit the same way ?
    Whatever the number of disks you have in a DAS, the whole DAS is in fact mounted/saw by the computer as only one drive, can't it be used as is by omv ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The lowest NUC is still more powerful than my sempron 145.

Using one drive isn't supported by the omv installer. You could install Debian squeeze and setup your own partitions or you could shrink the partition after installing from OMV installer.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Plex might only have a problem if you were transcoding.

You need one drive for the os and one for the data. You can use partitions too but it isn't supported by the omv installer.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Plex might only have a problem if you were transcoding.

Yes, i'm aware of that. Plex were an example, i could/should have mentionned virtualbox too :)

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

You need one drive for the os and one for the data. You can use partitions too but it isn't supported by the omv installer.

Ok, so i plug 2 das, eveything is ok then ? :)
    For example OMV could be installed on something like this, using raid 1, http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/ex-30/, esata pluggued, no ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are going to use those external enclosures, why pay the premium for a NUC? I would just put it all in one case.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

If you are going to use those external enclosures, why pay the premium for a NUC? I would just put it all in one case.

I would second this...

Unless asthetics are an issue...

• asthetics lol well i would say in a way if we talk about space but that's not the essential. If we need to go outside the subject of the topic, then :

- Except space, save to the NUC built with a bga socket, the whole solution consumes less power than a traditionnal pc and you can see the difference at the end of the year. Play by installing 2 of them, 3 of them... you will quickly change your mind about the all in one case...

- By going the all in one case route, then we still have to try comparing oranges to oranges, ie you have to buy at least the internal hdd racks and even without raid management, the level of price of this is quite equal to the external mention with raid management, from this point, it makes no sense on the financial point of view to go the all in one case way.

- Choosing a das (so an external solution) is a way to save raid hungry cpu processing, so you can ask more to the pc unit, such as hypervisor, plex transcoding etc so all kinds of hard tasks that would suffer of the raid management.

- a nuc is not necessarily premium, as mentioned and to come to the subject of the thread and its questions : you have low powerful nuc as well you have powerful ones, up to each to choose what fit the best, that's what i were asking

- The whole solution costs clearly less than a nas with the same number of disks and even more when time comes to introduce evolution to this solution as you would change only the pc unit instead of the whole thing

• You could still use an external solution and not go with a NUC. The NUC is a premium IMHO....

You could easily build a small low power mITX computer with much more flexibility than the NUC. Replacing it would be just as easy... In the future, it may make sense to replace it with something like the NUC, but right now, that small package comes at a premium.

Once you add the power required by a couple eSATA units, it is going to take quite some time to recoup the power savings of the NUC. You can't say that the NUC is a power saver, and then ignore additional power requirements.

It would be interesting to see how a NUC + external enclosures would compare.

That being said... I think it is a cool idea. I just don't think it will be a monetary savings overall.

• If you go with the NUC, choose this one:

D34010WYK / D34010WYKH <- The latter is the high version which can hold a 2,5" hard drive/SSD. The first only has place for a mSATA SSD!

The new Celeron NUC (DN2820FYK) only has one USB3 port so you're a bit limited with it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks you davidh2k.

Yep, i'm aware about the msata or not problem.
    What i don't know is : is it better to choose usb3 or esata ?...

If esata is a better choice then intel and giabyte, nuc oriented, are not the best option, but Zotac is probably a better one.

• Never used eSATA anyway.

So I can't answer on that. USB3 is just fine for me.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!