Cleanup after successful upgrade to 1.0

• Hey,

After successful upgrade there is a lot of old stuff still on the system drive and services are just stopped instead of removed.
    For example Apache2 is there in stopped state as it was replaced by Nginx, /initrd.img.old, /vmlinuz.old and so on.

So what is safe to delete and/or remove?

Thanks and best regards,
    iks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I recommend making a backup with Clonezilla at this point. After that, you could remove apache and purge unused/uninstalled packages but you don't have to.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron,

Actually I am running OMV as KVM VM and first step of always having a valid backup specially before making some bigger changes is already done.
    Just to avoid some unnecessary complications I would like to know what can be truly safely removed...
    This are .old files/dirs in / but what else?
    I can't just try my best luck with all stopped services, even for apache that was replaced I am not completely sure if it can be removed. Maybe some plugin will try to fire it up at some point and will crash or something because it will be missing.

Maybe the best idea is to clean/purge obvious and leave everything else as is. Services are already stopped after all... :)

Thanks for answer,
    iks

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can remove apache. If a plugin and/or the system uses it, it will try and remove something you want to keep. So, just pay attention to what it is trying to remove.

On my systems, I removed apache, squeeze kernels (2.6.32 and 3.2 kernel with bp in name), and any uninstalled package. The uninstall packages will be show by: dpkg -l | grep ^rc

As for the .old files, move them to a temporary folder (not /tmp) and reboot. If it needed them, you can move it right back.

Other than that, most packages are upgraded. So, there isn't a lot to remove.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!