HP Proliant Micro Server N40L

• Hi all,

I just wanted to share, that OMV 0.3 and 0.4 are running great on the HP Proliant Micro Server N40L. It is a very cost effective solution especially compared to commercial versions or any other self built Solution.

You can buy it in Germany for about 189€ without any disk. Then you can add 4 disks of your liking and have the complete NAS. If you want to have the remote administration feature (ILO) buy the ILO board for 58€.

I have the ILO board installed and you can remotely mount CDs (ISOs) and boot from them. You can install OMV and starting from there using the WebGUI to continue your setup.

There is only one issue with the N40L and USB sticks. I could not get it to work. So I put in the original 250GB 3.5" hard drive as the boot drive where the physical CD drive belongs and installed OMV onto it. I did not found any way to install OMV to the USB drive. It constantly fails to install grub and I could not work out how to fix it. Maybe a dd from a VMware installation would have helped, but I did not test it.

Beside of this USB topic it works great.

Happy to help all the N40L users to get OMV installed on your device.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• +1
    I'm running (although not OMV but other services like Zentyal) on this box and this is really interesting. system on SSD + mirrored disks for storage and single spin for logs.
    Work like a charm and cheap.

• Hello,

I am running the N40L without any USB issues. I have OMV installed on an USB Stick plugged into the inner port - no issue.

However, I would like to be able to read out all sensor values of the motherboard/cpu.
    It seems, that in order to do this, a patch is necessary, see:

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/com…ver-752079-122-print.html
    http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pi…2011-November/034316.html

Has anyone been working on this and could supply the binaries?

Regards, Tomte

• I've the RAC installed. There are only this sensors: CPU-, NorthBridge- and Ambient-Temp. And there is a reedout for the fanspeed. There are no critical aspects at all in my N40L. So your idea is a waste of time. ;) Of cause: only my toughts...

• Hi all

Got one of these myself now, and wanted to test out OMV ever since before it got released, but couldn't wait back then as I needed a working solution. Now it's time for a second/first go here.

Regards the USB issue, unplug all HDDs from during install and it works flawless to install on USB. If a HDD is attached it will fail at the bootloader as mentioned above. (Think I read this on Wiki and it was fact as I forgot to unplug during a test install)

Progress so far:
    Installed to USB, created a raid5 with 4 Seagate SV35.5 2TB drives, copied all my media files to it and installed the torrent plugin.
    I had a bit trouble with the torrent plugin and rights, but once I gave the daemon rights to the folders it worked. Else so far so good, no issues.

Future plans:
    add status monitor (health sensors) and Web-, xmail- and syslog- servers (and eventually maybe some DLNA if I ever get a TV) and set up a rsync once my 12 bay is back up and running.

Besides all that, I'll try to help out where I can around the forums

BeeCube (OMV): Media server on HP N40L, 8GB XMS3, 2x Seagate NAS 4TB, 16GB SSD (SSD died, dropped it on the floor and now in/out-put errors)
    BeeWeb (OMV): Web and mail on HP N54L, 4GB ECC, 4x SV35.5 2TB raid5, 16GB SSD DOM (in build and temp media server)
    BeeWood (SMB): Backup on A6-3500, F1A75-I Deluxe, 8GB Ares, LSI 9240-8i, 8+4bay (mixed drive setup), 120GB SSD (in parts for case mod)
    BeeRoute (pfSense): Router on Intel D2500CC, 4GB SO-DIMM, 16GB SSD DOM

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!