Install OMV 1.0 on one machine, then move drive to other

• Hi. Wondering if I might run into any issues if I was to use one machine with MoBo type X and AMD CPU to do a fresh intall of OMV 1.0, then move the HDD to my second machine with MoBo type Y and Intel CPU?

Reason I ask is my second machine is already running OMV 0.4. Want to upgrade to 1.0, and I understand a fresh install is best upgrade path. My current 0.4 OMV machine has a 6 disk Raid10 setup that has a rather tight and difficult to access wiring setup. From other threads I understand that for a fresh install I should unplug all data drives. Thought it might be easier to install the new OMV to a spare drive I can pop in one of my other machines that have no data drives and then move it to my OMV box to replace the more accessible current OS drive. Then I won't have to unplug any drives for install.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It works fine. Just run omv-firstaid after the move to fix the networking stuff.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I know this is an old thread, but is there a way to do this without having to run omv-firstaid afterwards?

I am wanting to install on a storage device that will be put into a machine that has no monitor or serial and has no way to add either.

Eddie

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep. If the system uses dhcp on eth0, just: rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and this should make the NIC in the new system use eth0 and previous settings. If you are using static ip, change the mac address in that same file to the mac address of the new nic before shutting down the install system (instead of deleting the file).

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!