[SOLVED] Yet another N40L, but with a twist...

• Evening all,

trying to move from a Dlink nas to a proper server solution that offers some speed benefits and some extra functionality.

I like the ethos of OMV hence I'm here!

My current set up is o2 Wireless box V, as dhcp and wireless, connected to gigabit switch which feeds everything else either by direct wired or homeplug.
    In the house is 1 desktop, 3 laptops, 3 android phones, 2 bb, 1 bb playbook, ps3, xbox 360, 2 x technika 8320 freeview hd boxes.

The dlink 323, had ALT-F firmware installed, but network performance was abysmal hence this upgrade!

I've installed OMV twice, both times onto the 250gb drive that came with the n40l.
    Each time I've updated everything first (first time took it up to .4) through update manager & plugin manager (through the webgui, so I can see it fine when accessing this).

Now then, the issue I have is that I cannot see anything on my W7 network? Nor from my phone (android) or tab (bb playbook)?
    I've tried with NFS and SMB/CIFS setup, but still nothing.

Obviously I'm missing an important step somewhere, but I've followed all the set up instructions I can find across the net, but I'm just not seeing anything?
    I've taken a drive from the dlink (1tb samsung) that has about 600gb of films on, with an existing ext4 fs, and tried sharing that through smb, still nothing?

I'm not a linux user, but I can follow instructions, can't see what I've done wrong?

Any tips please?!

• Hey Hapless!

Maybe the same mistake I did! ;)

First of all: When you use your 250GB-HDD, that came with your MicroServer, the whole HDD is reserved to OMV. That's a waste. ;) OMV is using around 1GB!
    (BTW: I installed OMV first on a USB-Key. Now I'm on a SSD to keep my HDD-Slots free from booting devices.)

When you plug your DLink-HDD, can you see it at "Physical Drives"? Then check the "Filesystems"-Section. They should look like this: http://bugtracker.openmediavau….php?file_id=163&type=bug
    When you don't see the bar "Used", your filesystem is not mounted. Click on the filesystem and than on the button "Mount".

Now you can share folders. Remember the requirements for each protocol. Example for SMB: Your local user needs a password. So add a new user to OMV and type in that password too!

Good luck!

Dennis

• Hi Dennis,

yep, got that using the whole drive is a waste but I'm just testing different scenarios, once it appears to do what I want then I'll partition the drive accordingly!!

Yes, I can see it in physical drives, I've checked it in File Systems and it appears correctly as an ext4, with the correct amount of used/free space and I have mounted it.

I've set up a shared folder, created test users with passwords etc.

But browsing network neighbourhood, brings up nowt, diddly, nada! It just doesn't appear?

I'm perplexed, I've played with Linux in the past, I've read through loads of set up guides but never had this? The network settings all tally (dhcp assigned permanent IP, dns from router, same workgroup name) and obviously I can see it fine by access the admin gui.
    I can also ssh into the box using root.

Any more tips/suggestions would be appreciated!!

• Start by doing this. There is a great app for android phones/tablets called "fing". Search for it on play store and install. Then start the app and scan your network, make sure you wifi is on and you're connected to your home network. You should find your omv box, and all other devices on your network. Click on you omv box, you can tell what it is cuz of fixed IP. Then click on scan services. Tell me what is showing.

• Hi tekkbebe,

forgot about fing, already got it!

ok, picked up box, services running are:

80 http
    111 rpcbind
    139 netbios-ssn
    445 microsoft-ds
    631ipp (installed cups as want to use 2 printers when finished)

I'll dump some screens in a mo, but very late here, so bare with me!

*pics added...

• In omv web GUI did you put a hostname under system/network/general tab? If not put one in and click on OK. Then in the omv web GUI go to services/smbcifs/settings tab and take checkmarks off time server and enable homes directories, then put checkmark in the enable box for dns discovery. Click on OK at the bottom. Now look at top of page and click on Shares tab. Highlight your share and click on edit. Take checkmark off public and click ok. Then go to a windows 7 machine and click on Network icon on your desktop. On the right under Computers do you see your omv hostname? You should see your omv machine. Click on it and login with one of your users. Then you should see your share and be allowed in it if your user has been granted access via settings in OMV GUI at Access Rights Management/Shared Folders/ highlight your share and edit user rights click ok. Your samba is running btw. There may be some issues but we know it's running cuz your phone sees the service running in fing.

PS- better to not use public access for samba, some ppl haivng issues with it. Use user logins for samba shares and get dlna setup for accessing media with no logins.

• Hi tekkbebe,

been to bed for a few, sorry! 07.33 now and just been out with son no.2 on his paper round for the past hour!

Ok, followed all your instructions, the only 2 that I needed to change were the timeserver and the public setting, everything else was done.

Still no sign of it in network though!!!

Pic shows samsung Kies in other, one of Freeview HD tv boxes, o2 w/l router with media port and wmp12

More than happy to flatten it again and follow your start guide if you have one?!!

Thanks for the assistance :)

• Did you reboot your windows machine after changes..???

Do you have ES File Explore paid version on your phone?

Give me a bit I'm firing up my tablet and looking for a way to check for share from your phone...

• On your Windows computer right click on the Computer Icon then click on properties. The window that pops up tell me what it says in the workgroup field????

You can use fing to do this to. Click on your Windows 7 computer in fing. What does the NetBios Domain say?
    You can check the omv box too and it should say WORKGROUP.

I'm checking to see if your computer says MSHOME which would be a diff NetBIOS Domain. If it does say MSHOME go into
    OMV web GUI to SMBCIFS/SETTINGS and change WORKGROUP to MSHOME and click on ok.

There is another really good app to get from the play store for your phone called sharesfinder.
    Search for it and install it. You can test samba shares with it. It's free. Once it's installed you click on
    the spyglass to scan. It will find your omv box. Tap on it. Then click on SMB. Then you can enter a user id and
    password for one of your users. It should enter the Samba share and show the folders in which the user has priveleges.

• Now we're cooking!!

WORKGROUP is there, on both computer/properties and in the SMBCIFS/SETTINGS on OMV.

Just installed sharesfinder, straight in to the Movies share and can browse the folder fine!

So it appears to be a windows issue, which narrows down our focus, just can't see what it could be?

• Yeah it's something to do with your windows machine. I'm to bed. Where you at, Brazil or something? It's hard to figure where +3 from usa eastern standard could be. Your samba share is working. I'll try to get back to you tomorrow night on what could be up with your machine.... C-ya

• Nope, good old blighty! Wish I was in Brazil, can just see myself with some lovely pretty young ladies....

I'll investigate today but I've got loads of stuff to do on a Joomla install which I know nothing about, so lots of reading to do!!
    Unless there are any Joomla users out there?!! Template issues :(

Thanks again for the help, get some kip and hopefully I'll catch up with you later!!

• Control Panel / Network and Sharing Center /

then on upper left click on change advanced sharing settings

in Home or Work and Public

Turn on
    Network Discovery
    Files and Printer Sharing
    Public Folder Sharing
    128 bit encryption
    Turn on Password Protected Sharing

Now you can change your name to Happy. :D

• Thought you were away to your bed?!

All the above was already done, except the 128 bit encryption - had that at 40 bit as being a long time user of xbmc on original xbox W7 caused all manner of issues, funny that!!

Still nothing, thinking about crying...!

Now then, get to bed!!

Just had a looksee around other bits and using the SMB path I can map the drive so I can see it?!

Still nothing in network view though, and dlna doesn't appear either - checked on set top box and SGS2

• I haven't looked over your DLNA setup so it is another issue for now. It is important to get your win 7 machine seeing your omv. What antivirus/firewall software do you have? What make and model is your router?

Give me results of fing service scan on the win7 machine.

• Quick reply then off for a few hours, but thanks a mil for helping!

Using windows firewall, ms security essentials, router is a O2 Wireless Box V (aka Thomson 587n v2), which are now know as Technicolor apparently?!

Got to go, bbl!!

• Get me the fing win7 service scan on your windows machine.
    Get me a link to your internet providers website. Do you have cable modem or DSL?
    I see ppl are bridging that router so it may not be very good model.
    Also try rebooting the router, they get hung up sometimes.

• Do you not sleep?!!

Fing screen:

http://www.o2.co.uk ADSL, the router is generally accepted as not being very good but adequate for purpose.

I've just rebooted both pc and router and fing now says:

and my network says:

Happy days!!!

I've achieved bugger all with that Joomla template issue, but at least I can populate the server now, much more important!!!!

Thanks a million for all your help and patience tekkbebe, it is very much appreciated :)

• Yeah, I was sleeping on and off since 6 pm watching movies off my omv.... lawl

The pics and your phone helped a lot. Most of the time I'm guessing in the dark with what people have, or haven't, done.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!