Conceptual question about installing on a own-build 2-bay-NAS

• Currently I have not own-build NAS and now OMV installation - but I plan to have.
    I want to have a 2-bay-NAS.

I read the Wiki about the Installation and know that I can not install OMV on one of the 2-bay drives and I shouldn't use a usb-stick or flahs-card because of their live time.

So how do I do this? Where can I install OMV?

Building a 4-bay NAS and using a HDD in the 3rd bay isn't a solution. It is bad overhead.
    How do you build and install your NAS?

• You actually can use a usb stick now if you install the flash memory plugin. Why don't you give a little more information on the hardware you would like to use. Then I think people can help you better.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have a few options:
    - You can use a usb hard drive or ssd.
    - You can use a usb stick with the flashmemory plugin available in omv-extras.
    - You can partition one of the drives for the OS and data

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Question, I was under the impression that since Stoneburner has been released, that you can install OMV to a USB drive without worry if you disable "Monitoring" from the System section (without needing the flashmemory plugin)?

As in disabling Monitoring reduces the disk writes, which also greatly reduces the system log entries as well.

If the flashmemory plugin is still required for a USB system partition, then does "monitoring" still need to be disabled in Stoneburner too?

Thanks,

• Offizieller Beitrag

While disabling monitoring would help writes, it is not the only thing causing lots of writes to flash memory. Why would you not want to use the flashmemory plugin?

If you are using the flashmemory plugin, you can leave monitoring enabled if you want. All of the monitoring data is written to ram.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Okay, sounds good. I don't have anything against the flashmemory plugin and will use it now that you've cleared that up for me. I would only use a USB install on a armel pogoplug system.

Prior to stoneburner, the rrdcached service would consume 80 to 90% cpu utilization (constantly) and was pretty much unusable.

But that's been fixed now. Thanks!

• Whooooaaaahh, first time I saw something about this plugin. Seemed the docs say you should do imbedded install onto USB flash drive and that is what I did. Will this setup burn up my Kingston Traveldrive (16 GB USB key)? I have installed omv-extras plugin but do not see flashmemory plugin in my OMV plugins interface, or anywhere on the omv-extras site (checked stable and testing). Please can you tell me if standard embedded installs to USB key really need this plugin? If so, where can I get it and how t install or use it?

Please accept my thanks for OMV, I am a new user and much impressed with initial results and testing on my LAN. Cheers!

• I did an apt-clean in the gui and then I can see the plugin called openmediavault-flashmemory 1.9
    Not sure how to install and use this but will try to experiment.
    After all, I am not yet using OMV for mission-critical purposes,
    but it is already fun to set up and do backup from main data store.
    Things seem working fine. The web gui seems slow but that may be my old hardware (P4, 3.5 GHz, 1 GB Ram).
    Onwards!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Install it from the plugin tab. Then enable it from the flashmemory tab, save/apply, and reboot. Easy as that.

• did the install of the flashmem plugin, followed directions in the plugin to edit /etc/fstab
    (except I am a vi guy so used that instead of nano) and rebooted. Can you tell me
    is there a way to verify this is working, or assess the efficiency or measure that
    the writes on the USB key are infrequent? I am a former scientist and like when I
    can see empirical measure.... THANKS again for OMV... it rocks.
    Now I need to restart my file transfer experiments. So far so good, I use robocopy
    scripts to transfer from Windows box... but can you tell me best backup for data store
    on OMV, should I look first to the rsync plugin? Just starting to learn about rsync...
    THANKS again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The Write Kbytes display in the plugin tell you exactly how many bytes have been written to the root drive since the last reboot. The less reboots, the less the data is written back to the flash media which also helps.

From my tests, before the plugin is installed, my systems wrote 800 MB+ to the drive per day. After the plugin, they were writing 20 to 60 MB per day. I've had SD cards fail many times in less than 2 weeks before the plugin. My long term odroid-c1 test is showing no sign of failure after almost 5 months. Just checked my system at home and it has written 4GB in 22 days but I put data on the OS drive once in a while that would inflate that value.

For backup, i use rsync and rsnapshot (which uses rsync).

• Ok thanks. I guess it's a good thing to prolong the life of the USB key that is running the system.
    Next thing I want to do is find out exactly what to back up and how to restore (just config files?).
    I like to feel ready for the inevitable failures...
    I do like that the OMV is built on Debian, it's my fav Linux distro.
    Thanks again for guidance. Best wishes!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Clone the usb key to another usb key. Either use clonezilla or follow this thread for an idea how

• Thanks for all the input. I saw in the FAQ advice against using USB key for system partition. But I have used USB key since I saw in other docs this was recommended. Please, I want to know if it's better to use separate HD for system? This is not a problem for me, I have some old drives and will just use one or two other drives for storage. I am just confused since some docs said embedded install to USB key is preferred, and FAQ says NEVER do that!

Also, if I disconnect my data drive (only one now) and reinstall from LiveCD to dedicated hard drive (system), then reconnect the data drive after the install, should I be able to get the data drive recognized and working in the OMV GUI?

All this done with latest 2.1 LiveCD, for me so far. THANKS!

• Oops wait. My bad, I was confusing setup with NAS4Free, which recommends embedded install. So this raises an additional question. I had OMV 2.1 on separate hard drive, then I installed Flashmem plugin. It seems to hover around 45 percent memory usage, idling, so is it better to NOT use Flashmem plugin when running system on hard drive?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nothing wrong with 45% memory usage. Linux will control it. I have seen no benefit from use the flashmemory plugin on a system using a hard drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!