Installation headaches

• Found myself a Dell Poweredge 2950II server used for sale.
    32 GB of ECC RAM and had 2 15k rpm SCSI discs.

Added 4 3GB HDDs.

Installed OMV on system installing to a 16 GB thumb drive.

System sees thumb drive, and DVD but no hard drives.

Power lites are on.
    System fans are very very loud so I can't hear if the discs spin up.
    Tried using gdisk to add a partion.
    Still doesn't want to read.
    Tried using gparted.
    Can't see the discs using Storage>Physical Discs> search (or whatever its called)

Still no joy!

Any suggestions as to what to do to get drives read?

(The BIOS on the server is not much like any BIOS I have ever used.

• Do you know if there is a Perc 5i or 6i raid controller installed? You may need to go into the raid configuration and configure the drives. If you have already, I would check the firmware level on the raid controller. It might need to be updated, though it's unlikely that would be the issue. Some models that you have use a software raid instead of the Perc 5i or 6i. If that's the case, then that's likely why you're not seeing your drives. If you do have software raid, destroy the raid array and look in BIOS if you can set the controller to use AHCI instead of raid. I don't know much about Dell servers so that's about the best advice I can give you. Good luck.

• I haven't deal with scsi disks, but are drives at least listed in BIOS?

No drives listed in the bios. Its a weird bios too. Looks like its written for just Dell servers!

Do you know if there is a Perc 5i or 6i raid controller installed? You may need to go into the raid configuration and configure the drives. If you have already, I would check the firmware level on the raid controller. It might need to be updated, though…

There is something about a Perc 5 but I'm not seeing anything where I might be able to configure a raid.

There is a question about enabling SATA set 1 and set 2 which I changed from no to auto but this bios is real weird and I'm not sure what to change to get the discs to be read. (Know where it is usually but there isn't anything like that in this model!)

Thanks for the ideas!

• If you saw the Perc 5i then that is the raid controller. Usually during boot you would see something during boot to go into the raid configuration. You might see "Press Ctrl-H" or "Crtl-Y" during the boot process to access the raid controller. If you see any message similar to that then press the keys. Did the system come with iDRAC? If so, connect the management port and you should be able to setup the raid through that.

• I'm thinking that the disc controller board is DOA. There is no anything for setting up RAID in the setup process and I've checked every option about 4 times, so lots of flag waving for not much on my end!

All the hard drives go through one board and I can't even see anything from the system.
    The USB stick and the DVD are working from different access points and I can see them.

Now to find a board (hopefully at a reasonable price!).

If I can get this working it will be a great box but . . .

• I was quite wrong!

The command was Ctrl R .

That got me into a dialog where I was able to see 4 of the hard drives (the new ones) that are in a hardware raid system.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm - - - I would prefer using a software raid but this box doesn't give me that choice.

The other 2 drives were formatted to be part of a Raid 5 array and 2 drives can never be that.

So I have to find some way to reformat them.

There are 15k rpm Seagates (146 GB) - - - any ideas?

(Because they are part of another array the controller calls them foreign and won't do anything with them so I need to format them. That formatting takes a very very long time on big drives!!)

Thanking all for their assistance and support!!!

• Rereading my last message and there is some ambiguity!

In the boot up process there are a number of places to get into different aspects of the bios. (You will likely have something to do at every point and information about what to do is something I have not been able to find!)

One sets up the raid arrays and therewith the hard drives when you are told press Ctrl r (this is about the time your screen tells you that the hard drives are initializing).

I'm thinking that for someone who is reading this thinking that the Poweredge 2950 is a reasonable purchase - - - I would suggest something a little newer. The bios doesn't recognize any more than 4 TB of space (and 4 3-TB drives in raid 10 should have more than that - - - but oh well I got a machine with 32 GB of ECC RAM and room for 6 drives - - - ) so I will live with this for a while!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!