Newbie Help -- How to Get Started

• Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the world of NAS, so some total n00b questions here.

I have OpenMediaVault running on an old Dell XPS435 MT. It's got an i7 quad core, 12GB of RAM and a 1TB ATA internal drive which is where I've got OMV installed. (I know the specs are a bit much for this purpose, but it used to be my primary machine).

I also have hooked up two 1TB external drives and one 2TB external drive.

I managed to install OMV onto the Dell box from a USB stick.

Now I'm back at my laptop and I can access the web GUI via the IP address. I've logged in using the default admin credentials.

I want to set up Network drives so that I and others in my household can access them from our laptops.

We are a mix of PCs and Macs, so I understand that I need to create some NFS shares?

When I try to do that under the services section in the web interface, I go to

Add Share
    [green + sign] next to shared folder
    New dialog box -- Add a shared folder

Then, in the "Volume" drop down, I don't get any volumes listed. It feels like I'm stuck at this point, and I'm not sure what do do next.

My question is, what do I do from here?

All I really want to get started is to create some drives that we can access from our laptops on the home network. I don't see any of the physical hard drives attached to OMV showing up as available drives in my Finder on my Mac, so I am assuming I need to do something further in the web GUI, but as mentioned above I can't sort out what my next steps should be.

Thanks for the help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are the file systems mounted? Look in the Filesystems. Then you have to create Shared Folders. Then you create NFS/Samba shares. Samba might be easier for you and it works with Macs too.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron,

Thanks a lot for the response -- I will check it out when I get home today.

From memory yesterday, I did see my three external drives listed as "online" under filesystems, but when I tried to create shared folders, I ran into the problem where there aren't any volumes listed. I'm not sure why they aren't appearing there.

But I will have another look tonight.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think they can be online (formatted) but not mounted. You probably just need to mount them.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• OK, you're right ryecoaaron -- they are not mounted.

However, now I'm having trouble mounting them :?

When I select a filesystem and click "Mount", I get the following errors (screenshot below).

Any help much appreciated!

• Do you have an adroid phone? Give us a screen shot system/general/web administration and system/network/DNS server and services/smbcifs/settings. Also, when you go to cd /media do you see uuid numbers of your data drives?

• Hi tekkbebe,

I don't have an android but I took some screenshots from my laptop -- hope this works just as well.

I just couldn't find cd/media in the web UI -- where is it located please?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Eloko"

I just couldn't find cd/media in the web UI -- where is it located please?

cd /media is a command line command. I don't see any problems with your screenshots. Can you login to the system to run the command line commands?

• I see a problem. Put in DNS Server under system/network/DNS server. It will be address of your router, most likely 192.168.1.1. Then click on OK......

Do you have Putty and know how to start an SSH session to OMV?

PS- As secondary DNS server you can put in 8.8.8.8 in case your primary thru you ISP is down.

• Thanks for the suggestions guys.

@tekkbebe, I put in the DNS details for primary and secondary as mentioned, but unfortunately the same error message appears when I try to mount filesystems.

I've used Putty perhaps once before but I could figure it out if need be. Let me know if there is something to try.

ryecoaaron, to run command line commands, do I go to the actual machine where OMV is installed and type in "cd /media"?

I tried doing that, but I'm not sure how to interpret the results (see image below).

Thanks again for the help.

• ok you got into media folder now do a ls command. so do this once logged in as root

cd /
    cd /media
    ls

uuid numbers look like this 52279f8-1ddf-44ec-9f17-637ff91256f0

We are trying to verify that your drive(s) are mounted.

• Yea, 1st we want to see if his drives are mounted. You should fill in the the ips for primary and secondary dns server. There are other reasons those need to be filled. Any little thing we see will try to point out even it is unrelated to issue. The dns server info is important for upgrades. Even on your LAN your router acts DNS server. If you don't have an DNS server setup run a "apt-get updates" and watch in command line. Then put in the DNS server info and run command again.

Eloko, you can give us a screen shot of Storage/Filesystems and Storage/Physical Disks instead of those commands lines. But try them anyway and start to get used to it.

• Hi guys,

Apologies for the delay. I still very much want to get this sorted out.

Please find below an image from the command line (tried to run this as best as I could) as well as screen shots of the file systems and physical disks sections of the web GUI.

(Note -- the images appear to get cropped when viewed inline but if you save them you can see it all)

Thanks again for the help!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!