[Help]New NAS build, Hardware and Software advice.

• I run the Sempron 3850 (a quad-core a model higher than the 2650) and Markess is right. I'm using the AsRock AM1b-ITX and it has 4 SATA ports: two of them are controlled by Asmedia controller. I never got WOL working either and I can schedule wake ups even from totally poweroff (S5 state). Regarding the RAM, it only supports single-channel also, with a maximum of 32GB I think.

Just to confirm and give another view with the AM1 platform with OMV...

By the way, does anyone use virtualbox with this CPU (or similar one?) it runs at 1.3GHz and can be overclocked to 1.5 by the BIOS but I'm afraid it could shorten its lifespan considerably running it 24/7 at 1.5GHz... Any advice?

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

• Thanks for all the help guys, been out of town and busy with work so couldn't focus on this project much the last few days but continued to do research on the two options in my free time. 5350 seems to be the better option in terms of raw performance; my main issue with it was the price difference compared to performance but NCIX is currently having a sale on the 5350 and the price for it and asrock am1h-itx is very close to Q1900-itx; no point spending the same amount for less performance going with the am1 setup. I'm also actually in talks with someone who has an unused open box 5350 for even less so hoping that works out, in which case it would cost less than Q1900 and if it doesn't, I'll just get it from NCIX.

Also In case other people are interested in this topic or debating between 5350 and j1900, just want to mention that it isn't just the Asrock AM1 board that uses asmedia controllers for two of the sata ports; in fact all asrock SoC boards with 4 sata use Asmedia controllers for two of the sata ports, even the Intel based Q1900-ITX, Q2900-ITX and the new N3700-ITX. After months of research into these two boards, the conclusion I came to for my use case is if you can get it at around the same price, the am1 5350 is the better option and has more raw power than all the Intel based SoC within this price range. I was also concerned about driver support for amd but thanks to help from the community here I now know that is not really an issue as far as OMV is concerned.

As I was doing research I did consider a more powerful build like a g3258 or fm2+ based system, which can be upgraded later on but decided against it. In my case I have a i7 950 I lent to my brother which i'll soon get back as he is upgrading to skylake and I plan to upgrade my main desktop(2600k) in an year so if I end up needing something more powerful, I can just repurpose those systems

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all the help, info and feedback. I'll probably turn to you guys again when I'm done with the hardware setup and move onto software. Not sure if I should continue posting here or post a new topic in the proper section so let me know and I'll update with some pics when all the parts arrive. Have a wonderful week everyone.

• Searched for the comparison between N3700 & Athlon 5350, I would say I prefer N3700.
    The reason is, for most of the applications using on NAS, N3700 is running only a little bit slower than 5350 while the TDP of N3700 is much lower, 6W vs 25W. To do 1 x 1080p realtime transcoding I believe both of them will work the same.

I would not prefer the older J1900, as it doesn't come with encryption acceleration, while N3700/5350 come with hardware acceleration, which provides extra benefits like VPN, or disk encryption speed up.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!