WD Green Standby

• There have been written a lot about WD Green Caviar and Standby / spin-down. But I still have not been able to figure this out.

I have 3 WD Green drives:
    WD15EADS - 1.5TB 32MB Cache - Firmware 01.00A01
    WD10EACS - 1.0TB 16MB Cache - Firmware 01.01A01
    WD10EAVS - 1.0TB 8MB Cache - Firmware 01.01A01

All drives spin down immediately with the hdparm -Y command.
    All drives does not behave as expected using the hdparm -S command to set the spin down time. I found in this post, that hdparm -S 3 could work.

For the WD15EADS, hdparm -S 3 /dev/sdx, makes the drive spin down after 10 min. (The expected behavior would be 15 seconds)
    For the WD10EAVS, hdparm -S 3 /dev/sdx, makes the drive spin down after about 15-20 min. (Haven't timed it accurately, but it works consistently)

However, the WD10EACS does not spin down at all. What can cause this? The WD10EACS only differs from the WD10EAVS by the amount of cache. It even has the same firmware revision.

All the drives are empty, and I'm certain I don't have anything accessing the drives which can keep them active.

BTW: For all drives the dreaded idle3 timer is disabled.
    Apparently none of the drives support Advanced Power Management (hdparm -B /dev/sdx gives APM_level = not supported)

• I know how to set the disc properties via the GUI. Using hdparm is just another way of doing it and makes it possible to set values and change things you can't from the GUI. Anyway, it does not explain why my two 1TB drives behaves differently with the same settings.

Did you try hdparm -B on you EARX drive? I don't think any of the Green drives support APM. Further, Have you tried any other time than 10 minutes? My WD15EADS spin down in 10 min. regardless of what time is set with hdparm -S or disc properties.

• I was experimenting similar issues to you. hdparm tends to be a little "sentimental" sometimes. You could perhaps look what is accessing your HDD and preventing it from sleeping as suggested on this post. Are you using samba or Plex Media Server? If that is the case, take a look at this post (that's how I finally managed to make the HDDs in my NAS sleep). You could also check the S.M.A.R.T configuration (if you are using it) and see if it is set to Standby (that way the disks won't be awaken to be checked).

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• Thank you for your suggestions, however, as I said: All the drives are empty, and I'm certain I don't have anything accessing the drives which can keep them active.

Anyway, it seems that the WD Green drives has a life of their own. Just recently, the problematic drive started to spin-down after 10 min. What caused this is unknown.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!