Fatal problem introd. between 0.4.6-0.4.15 with flash RootFS

• Hallo!

I just installed the OMV iso (0.4.6) on a new micro USB stick. Everything is working without problems! I can selectively update packages which are reported by the Update Manager. But as soon as I update OMV to 0.4.15 or 0.4.16 (which indirectly selects parted and libparted due to dependencies) I can crash the whole linux system really fast by clicking the "Storage" sub entries (Physical Disks, RAID management, Filesystems, S.M.A.R.T.) one after the other randomly. The WebGUI just says that it's "Loading" and never changes this state again. After some seconds tty1 (via TFT-display) reports lots of

usb 1-4: device descriptor read/64, error -110

messages. After that, you get lots of ext4 error messages and the system is inoperable now. If you are logged in via SSH, the system doesn't find any command (i.e.poweroff etc.) anymore. After a poweroff everything works fine until you use the WebGUI again! An update to the current linux kernel (3.x) doesn't resolve the problem. A reinstall of OMV on this USB stick is possible and the problem is gone until you update to 0.4.15 .

The micro USB stick runs fine in every PC I own and is brand new. I even verified, if data that is copied to it, is consistent. Everything seems to be fine!

Is the parted stuff perhaps responsible for that? As soon as I install any of the three left packages (libparted, OMV or parted), the system crashes with some clicks. Is that a known problem? Can I exclude the parted stuff from updating to find the package causing the problem?

Of course I know, that it's not advised to install OMV on USB flash devices, but why was it working on version 0.4.6 without a problem?

Thank you for your support!

Best regards,
    Sven

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just installed a fresh copy OMV on my N40L on a Kingston DT101 G2 8 gig usb stick. I tried your crash method on 0.4.6 with no problems. I upgraded to 0.4.16 and tried the method again. No problems. I click on each entry very quickly around 100 times each (didn't count :) ).

The Kingston isn't a very fast usb stick. Maybe your micro USB stick is slow enough that it causes timing problems because 0.4.15/16 use a different method?? What system are you having the problem with?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for your time! That normally should reproduce the error. It's really strange! I installed it over and over again to try to fix it, without success! As soon, as I installed the update, I get this error.

I'm using a similar USB stick: Kingston DT Micro with 8GB. And I even tried a completely different NoName USB stick with USB2.0 and 2GB just to see if it's the stick which is causing the problem. Same result with this stick! Strange!

The system is a fitPC2 (Intel Atom Z530 @ 1.6 Ghz, Intel SCH US15W Systemchip, Realtek RTL8111D).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, the speed of the system and stick shouldn't be the issue. I assume you didn't do any configuring before upgrading? I didn't change any other settings. I just fired the N40L back up and added a second generic usb stick and a usb hard drive. I repeated the test and it didn't have any problems.

I would be curious to see if you still had the same problem if you upgraded to the 3.2 backports kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No, I didn't change anything beside turning on the SSH and Samba service. I haven't got a HDD installed right now, only the micro USB stick.

What I've tested now:

libparted and parted is definitely not the problem: I just installed the two packages, rebooted and tried with omv 0.4.6 . I was not able to crash the system. Everything is fine and stable. My last step (some minutes ago) was to install the last package offered by the Update Manager: omv 0.4.16 . After the update I clicked on "Physical Disks" and I instantly reproduced the crash. The first message is

usb 1-4: device descriptor read/64, error -110

and when I try to run the "poweroff" command a lot of the following error messages are displayed:

EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_find_entry: reading directory

It seems, that the USB stick is disconnected for some reason. I even attached a 'stronger' power supply...with no luck. Before installing the update I installed a lot of packages and had a fine and stable system.

It seems, that - for some reason - omv is bringing a hidden error to light. Even the current backport kernel 3.2 doesn't solve the problem :(

Volker, do you have an idea :-)?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!