Access Raid / LVM from another location

• So I don't actually need this right now but something I've been asking myself for a few days is... what if I wanted to migrate my raid or LVM to a new OS or computer all together? is it just a matter of moving the disks over to the new system / OS? I would assume that there is some sort of array configuration that is stored in the OS which is accessed when the drives are mounted but I couldn't find anything obvious that would set me in the right direction.

I just want to know what my resources are if for whatever reason I were to lose my OS and I had to recover data that is stored in the software raid.

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is ok to move fs in between linux distros, including if underneath are LVM or RAID. Sometimes specific FS features might not be available from one distro to another if there is a considerable difference in between the kernel version. Just boot a any live linux usb distro in your server you'll see that the filesystems get recognized including LVM and RAID

• Thank you for the reply. This is good information to know moving forward.

I did have an experience earlier this week that would contradict this but since I wasn't sure what I was looking for it was perhaps a mistake from my part. I had launched clonezilla in order to save a backup image of my system and while in filezilla I attempted to read the raid and had no success. It detected the drives but it couldn't identify the FS. That said I am sure clonezilla by default does not actually mounts the drives unless it needs to so one can perform operations and that is likely to be the reason why I couldn't see the raid, I really didn't want to poke around too much.

All that said, following your reply it is safe to assume that an OS migration should present no problem in most situations.

Thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!