Admin Password Rejected

• @tekkebe

I wanted to follow your instructions from this thread to install webmin on my OMV , but failed.

What I did :

1. I missed to change to /home and download the install package to tthe root directory
    2. I noticed my fault and deleted the file in root dir
    2. changed directory to home : cd /home
    3. downloaded the webmin package from sourceforge.net
    4. wanted to execute : dpkg --install webmin_1.620_all.deb in the home directory
    5. Installation failed bcs:

- some xyz-perl packages are not installed
    - package apt-show-versions is not installed
    - package python is not installed

What went wrong ? Must I use a different directory ? I tried in the root directory as mentioned,
    but also failed.

THX in advance

• Ok, (almost) Sorted out that the admin password reject is done by jhmillers script!

Changed the password two days ago and no problems whatsoever. Yesterday evening Installed SabNZBD, Couchpotato and Subsonic thru the script and again 16 hours later: my admin password is no longer working. Nothing else has been done only base installs of these 3 apps.

Really not cool and hope Tekbebe can advise whether I am right and i should post this in de appropriate topic or this has to do with being a vm. For now I'll stay (far) away from this script.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "KoppieKoffie"

Really not cool and hope Tekbebe can advise whether I am right and i should post this in de appropriate topic or this has to do with being a vm. For now I'll stay (far) away from this script.

I doubt it has to do with it being a VM. Tekkbebe and I agree that this script does quite a few things that we don't agree with...

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "KoppieKoffie"

Hi,

I got a couple of little kids who know their way around the plex clients so I think you're in the right direction. Only thing for now is give you some more info
    - debian kernel is standard (2.36...)
    - vm disk is a SSD
    - vmware 5.1 ESXi

Is it helpfull for you if I deploy a new vm with new backports kernel or is that lost effort?

Why do you want to run Plex on the same VM? Just create a second VM for your services like Plex... That's what I did.

• honestly: because it can (i think). What you suggest i have running (1 ubuntu fileserver, 1 ubuntu sab/sick/subsonic/plex server, 1 newznab server) so no disagreeing on your argument but got problems when the nfs mounts were not that stable (or the person who installed it) so I thought OMV would be the aio solution and does your dishes too :D

Nice to hear from you that the script is indeed not what you encourage to use. Hears like a wolf in sheep's clothing we call it here in NL..

• I think it's best people learn how to install packages themself, so they can understand what is going on, rather than be dependent on someone else's script. They blindly install it without knowing the possible consequences. We saw some things we didn't like about it. I can't remember all right now but one was it changed root mysql pass and I know there are other things in omv that require there to be no root mysql pass for mysql. There is a file that holds the encrypted passes for pam authentication and I have a feeling something is happening to that file because of the script. If you want the packages in the script I suggest you find a How To and do it independently. I would work on some of them but I have a lot of other things ahead in importance (e.g. bridged vpn, virtual machines, some firewall issues for Volker, etc...).

I looked more into plex vms. It seems people that are successfully running it are giving it 3 or 4 processors for the transcoding. In a bare metal install the gpu takes a lot of pressure off the cpu, which is not the case in the vm. I however cannot test this as I'm using a sempron 145 unlocked to a dual core. If you have a lot of cores available on your ESXi server you might want to apply more cores and let me know the results. If you do please test with swap on and off.

• just spotted this can someone give a list of things that dont appear to be correct with jhmillers script so it can be fed back to him, as i myself use the script coz am a linux noob am learning but that made life easier so if theres faults its not somthing am going to be aware of as i dont know what am looking for as its linux and its new to me.

cheers chris

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's not that they incorrect, they just don't take into account other services running on the system. I just briefly glanced at the script but it resets the mysql password and rewrites the mysql.conf file. It manually places files instead of using an installer as well. I understand the script is meant to be simple but it can cause many problems if the person is using the system for more than just the services the script installs.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Installing the manual way is no problem for me but I really thought that someone would not do such 'creepy' things within a installer script. git clone and dpkg -i it is then. I assume this takes 30min more..not a problem.

concerning Plex: I already attached 4 cores (i5-3570) to the vm but Tekkbebe's remarks about the GPU gets me thinking. I got a HD2500 inside which does nothing now but i could try to passthrough. But: Does OMV (2.6 or 3.2 kernel) takes advantage of a GPU even when I would go bare metal with omv (and install the virtualbox plugin).

• Maybe its worth bringing up with jhmiller as he seams like a nice enough guy and would be willing to adapt things with some input from others to make it better so it doesn't cause issues. that's one thing i love about OMV the community here is pretty good and everyone seams friendly enough to help each other out lets make things better so any new people to omv have a better experience.

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!