Advice Needed On Large 12-16 Drive Media Server - 30+ TB

• The more issues I see with trying to use a regular PC as an OMV server, the more I realize I should maybe go about this a different way. I'm up to 32 TB of media from years of TV recordings and storage and I am a stickler for local HD video and not the cloud/netflix/etc. I like having my own files!

I would like to have a server running OpenMediaVault and that's it, with a TON of hard drives in there. Are there cheap/used servers with 12-16 bays on eBay that I can just install the drives in, boot them from an OMV drive, and go?

This would be a new world for me but I've outgrown the world of a PC case with 6 drive bays. External USB enclosures are not doing it for me and expensive. There has to be a better way. I have plenty of space to put it, I don't care how big or loud it is, just so long as it can handle large drives as they get bigger 8TB+ and that I can put 12 or 16 drives in there.

I would love some advice. I just think it's time to put the PC as an OMV box out to pasture.

• Offizieller Beitrag

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superm…0fa3d3:g:msoAAOSw5VFWFvJa

This should do what you want. Not sure if the raid card supports 8tb drives but you could update it when the time comes.

or you might like this better

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superm…t%3D2%26sd%3D291855928094

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can just buy that and slide my SATA drives right in there? No extra cabling/adapter cards needed, assuming the backplane itself supports the drive size?

Yep :)

What do you think of this one?

That unit only accepts 2.5" drives. Other than that, it is good.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Glad you said that, I was wondering why it was cheaper and did SAS2. Crud. Thanks again for the help. I'm debating giving the models you found a try though am worried they will only go up to 4TB with the SAS backplane which I am reading. If I have to drop a lot of coin on a new backplane board, I may just want to look for one that's compatible with the larger drives. Guess I am still a little ahead of the curve there on that. I really appreciate the advice!

• Offizieller Beitrag

24 x 4tb is a lot of space though :)

• Oh you bet it is! Just not sure what to do with the 3 5TB drives I have now -- Had I known I was buying this a year ago I'd have capped out at 4TB drives and never went higher. My bad. This server thing is a new world but very cool. Makes me wonder why I ever bothered trying to build this OMV box with a dinky little PC!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't guarantee this but some of those backplanes can handle bigger drives as long as all the drives aren't that big and the backplace is full. Maybe email the ebay seller and ask that.

You've been bitten by the server bug. It can be very dangerous and expensive :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!