at first many thanks for this great product OMV!
I'm Using OMV 2.2.13 on a Zotac ID18 Mini PC / 6GB RAM with
- System on an SD card/USB adapter with openmediavault-flashmemory 1.9.2 plugin
- 1 internal 2,5" - 2TB disk - SATA interface
- 1 external 3,5" - 3TB disk - USB 3.0 directly connected
- 1 external 2,5" - 2TB disk - USB 3.0 - USB hub
- 1 external 3,5" - 8TB archive disk - USB 3.0 - USB hub
- Lot's of OMV services running, e.g. SMB/CIFS, OpenVPN AS, MiniDLNA, Nginx, SSH. Also running OwnCloud 9.1 directly as installation on the OMV linux.
Some time ago - with an earlier OMV version the transfer of large files (e.g. Acronis backup files) via SMB went very well with convenient throughput, both, on internal SATA disk, as well as on external USB 3.0 disks.
Now I tried to transfer a new Acronis backup to the correspondent SMB share on an external USB 3.0 disk (directly connected) of the OMV system and throughput was *very* bad (~10MByte/s, after the RAM buffer was filled).
The system information pages show, that the CPU usage is very high (> 70%), with a high Wait IO part (> 65% cpu usage).
When writing to a share on another USB 3.0 disk connected via USB hub was also similarly bad.
Reading from the USB 3.0 disk-based SMB share was still convenient (~ 70 MByte/s), also both reading and *writing* from/to the internal SATA disk via a correspondent SMB share was fine (~ 70-80MByte/s).
Any idea, what could be the reason for this performance loss on writing on USB 3.0 disks / the high Wait IO percentage?
With this performance it is not feasible to use the OMV system as backup file archive...
Thanks in advance
PS I looked for similar topics in the forum, but so far found no suitable suggestion how to fix this.