Storing plugins settings and data on Banana/Rasbperry Pi

• Hi,

I am new to OMV, currently I am testing the whole thing in VB machine to understand how it works before my Banana Pi ships, so sorry if you could find my question a silly one.

All the plugins have their settings stored somewhere - where do you keep them? On your HDDs or you make a separate partition on microSD card just to store those and make back ups of them?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plugins store their web interface settings in /etc/openmediavault/config.xml. But the service that plugin controls may store it settings/configuration in many places. Typically, it is best to backup the entire OS drive. In your case, clone the SD card.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you, ryecoaaron.

It seems that I was not specific. As for plugin I ment services controlled by plugins. What is your advice then, point storage place on SD card or somewhere in "main" storage for NAS?

What do you mean by cloning SD card - having both of them as redundant copy, or backup on HDD?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is your advice then, point storage place on SD card or somewhere in "main" storage for NAS?

You can't change where the settings are stored.

What do you mean by cloning SD card - having both of them as redundant copy, or backup on HDD?

Whenever you make major changes, I recommend making a copy/clone/whatever of the SD card to wherever you feel secure about it. Worst case, you have to re-install/reconfigure OMV and your data is still on the data drive.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't which is better. It depends on the service. If settings change all the time, I would probably put them on the data drives. If they don't, put them on the OS drive.

On my server, I backup the OS drive to the data drives (when I make changes to the setup) and the data drives to another server. Even if I lost the OS backup, I could re-setup my server in a short time. So, I'm not overly concerned with plugin/service settings.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!